Hospitals want to know patients' worth--and if they'll donate some of it

Northeast Agent

Guru
1000 Post Club
Pennsylvania
Hospitals want to know patients' worth--and if they'll donate some of it | BenefitsPRO

St. Clair Hospital in Pittsburgh treated Marcy Grupp in its emergency room for three hours in May for a painful kidney stone, providing a computerized tomography scan, among other tests. Medicare paid the bill.

A month later, the hospital sent Grupp, a retired television engineer, a letter asking for a donation to honor a doctor or other caregiver. “We encourage you to please consider honoring their efforts with a ‘gift of gratitude,’ by making a donation to St. Clair Hospital,” the letter said.

Grupp, 66, said she wasn’t rich, and was disturbed by the letter.

“I kind of resent it,” she said. “I don’t think they need the money.” The hospital last year reported nearly $48 million in net income and paid its chief executive officer $1 million

Hospitals are always looking for more money. They have been complaining about the uninsured or underinsured, but just about every hospital you drive by seems to be building new buildings or expanding in some way.

A community hospital near me is adding a $70M expansion. They are crying poor mouth during this, not buying necessities, no raises etc. Asking for all kinds of donations, too of course.

In the meantime, rumors are flying that either a big hospital system from Pittsburgh or Philly are planning to buy them. They are, of course denying it. But the one from Philly, especially wouldn't big a shocker.

Back