Hospitals will have to post prices online starting Jan. 1

Dec 30, 2018

1. MedicareMillionair

MedicareMillionair Guru

State:
    South Carolina
    That should include Europeans and Canadians. We need to stop subsidizing the worlds RX costs.

2. Newby

Newby Guru

State:
    Indiana
    Yes! Yes! Yes!

Newby, Jan 3, 2019
  3. somarco

somarco That Medicare Expert Guy

State:
    Georgia
    They really don't have a choice. If they accept govt funds, which almost every hospital does, they are required to treat Medicare patients.

Medicare pricing is not negotiated.

If a provider accepts Medicare they agree to abide by the fee schedule and are not allowed to balance bill.

This is true when insurance is involved.

Many do not have dental or vision insurance. Likewise, most dental and optical providers do not "join" networks and do not discount their fees. I believe the participation number for dentists is less than 20%.

While most dentists will file claims for the patient most will bill their regular fee. The patient is responsible for the difference.

Lasik surgery is a perfect example of free market pricing. For many years the treatment was experimental and not covered by insurance (including Medicare). What started out at several thousand dollars per eye is now a few hundred for some procedures.

When insurance is not in the picture free markets prevail . . . which follows what Scott (Newby) was saying.

somarco, Jan 3, 2019
  4. MedicareMillionair

MedicareMillionair Guru

State:
    South Carolina
    I travelled to silver spring, MD for umbilical hernia repair. It was $1,800 cash (he didn’t accept insurance) out the door by a top rated Doc. It was my full deductible under Obama Care here in SC. About $5,000 - $6,000.

5. Northeast Agent

Northeast Agent Guru

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Her insurer’s price tool estimated less than $1,375 for a breast MRI. Then she got a bill for $3,200.

As of Jan. 1, the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services requires hospitals to list the “chargemaster” price for every service, procedure and medication they have. But few people pay chargemaster prices, which are the starting point for rate negotiations with insurers. Plus, the prices are displayed in hard-to-interpret spreadsheets on hospital websites.

One of the loudest criticisms of price tools is that patients don’t use them, because they’re difficult to navigate, provide inaccurate information, or don’t result in significant enough savings.

6. somarco

somarco That Medicare Expert Guy

State:
    Georgia
    Well I could say "I told you so" but I won't.

As you mentioned, most patients won't use them and virtually none of them are aware of price differentials from one provider to another. The typical consumer thinks in terms of copay's and anything beyond that is Greek.

They also have no clue about par vs non-par pricing.

DC's idea of price transparency is a joke. Extra cost for hospitals who are already squeezed by Medicare, Medicaid and uninsured. Throw in cutbacks for DSH payments and it's not surprising so many hospitals are folding. Many of those left have closed ER's and OB departments.

somarco, Jan 10, 2019
  7. MedicareMillionair

MedicareMillionair Guru

State:
    South Carolina

I'm taking away this is another expensive program and will be very ineffective. Is anyone surprised?

8. gregj

gregj Super Genius

State:
    Arizona
    the folks in DC don't issue so much as a wet fart if industry leaders don't give them the go-ahead.

Regulatory capture. look it up.

gregj, Jan 13, 2019
  9. goillini52

goillini52 MAGA...Eat More Bacon & BUILD THAT WALL!!!

State:
    Illinois
    I hate wet farts!!! They make my underwear feel funky. :confused: