House Insurer Told Me to Claim Through Car Insurer

clarkd

Hi,

I live in a rented properly and unfortunately some bricks fell off the roof and dented my bonnet severely. Quotes put the repair cost around £750. The bricks were securing a tarpaulin down that my landlord had placed there to stop rain getting into garage, as he is doing some repairs on it currently.

I have spoken to the Landlord who has landlord/house insurance. They have told him to tell me that I must make a claim with my car insurance, providing the house insurers details to progress the claim.

As a 20 year old, my car insurance premium is already very high. I therefore, need to know whether I am obligated to make a claim through my car insurance (and risk increasing my premiums going forwards, even if I'm not at fault).

Obviously if I am not obligated, I will have to pursue the Landlord for the money.

Advice needed! :1baffled:

Last edited:
I assume you are in the UK, so I have no idea what the real answer is on this.
In the US though, a lot would depend on why the bricks fell. Because of this, it is usually best to go straight through your own policy if possible and they will resolve the 'who pays' part.

In the end, (in the US), it will come down to why the bricks fell.

Dan

Hi Dan,

Apologies, yes I live in the UK.

Yeah my thoughts are that the Landlord securing a tarpaulin with some bricks is not safe and is therefore negligent.

I'm going to speak to my car insurance and see what they have to say.

Thanks,

Dave

Hi Dan,

Apologies, yes I live in the UK.

Yeah my thoughts are that the Landlord securing a tarpaulin with some bricks is not safe and is therefore negligent.

I'm going to speak to my car insurance and see what they have to say.

Thanks,

Dave

Hello Dave! Hey, please post what happens with the car insurance. I'm curious. Thanks!

Back