How and When to Get Started as Independent Agent

kylef

I just graduated college a few months ago, and I'm interested in becoming an independent insurance agent. How many years of experience should I get before I do that, and also, what kind of jobs should I take in order to be prepared for owning my own agency.

I just graduated college a few months ago, and I'm interested in becoming an independent insurance agent. How many years of experience should I get before I do that, and also, what kind of jobs should I take in order to be prepared for owning my own agency.

Why not start selling insurance instead of looking for something else to do? The best job to get you ready to sell insurance is a job selling insurance.

However, selling is the easy part. Learning how to get people to sell to is the really hard part. Don't start with your relatives and friends. You will end up being an outcast if you do. That isn't "prospecting", it's pissing everyone you know off. LOL

Prospecting will be about 75% and selling will only be around $25% of the time you spend.

Learn to prospect, that what being a successful insurance agent is all about.

If you feel you must get a job to get you ready to "sell" insurance, try selling something door to door. Tupperware might be a good choice. If you can sell that you will make a ton of money selling insurance. Just kidding.

Get a job working for one of the big insurance companies, not an insurance agency, and start captive. Ask lots of questions about how to prospect. If you learn to prospect you will always have someone to sell to.

Thanks Frank,

If I decide to go 100% comm. for an agent with my coldcall skills, what kind of rough ball park figure income monthly should I expect, if I'm an average closer. I noticed the closing ratio is 1-15 or 20 for telemarketing leads from what I have seen in this forum......

Thanks Frank,

If I decide to go 100% comm. for an agent with my coldcall skills, what kind of rough ball park figure income monthly should I expect, if I'm an average closer. I noticed the closing ratio is 1-15 or 20 for telemarketing leads from what I have seen in this forum......

If you top $50,000 your first year you will be in the top 1% of first year agents. $35 to $40 is probably more realistic for your first year while you are learning how do deal with objections.

Assuming you are doing a good job of selling and recommending what they really need as opposed to what pays the highest commission and staying in contact with your clients, most of that should stay on the books for the second year.

That is when selling insurance starts paying dividends.

Thanks Frank,

Obviously you've been in this game for a long time and I'm still deciding if I should be in the mortgage or insurace business.. I'm kinda confused and I need to pray and meditate on this one.

Thanks Frank,

Obviously you've been in this game for a long time and I'm still deciding if I should be in the mortgage or insurace business.. I'm kinda confused and I need to pray and meditate on this one.

Extensive research will help you a lot more. After you have exhausted all available sources, then it is time to "pray and meditate".

Humana

I will try to make this short...

I was working full time as an outside sales rep. for an automotive parts wholesaler and selling insurance on the side, but then I was laid off. I was looking at the senior market but did not know anything about it. Just so happens that Humana was hiring.

I was hesitant to go captive, but the training and lead support was hard to pass up. They were (and still are) the largest insurer of seniors in KC (both Part D and MA) and have been here since 1991 with an HMO (even prior to Part C).

When I went to training in Louisville, KY in Jan 2006, there were 140+ people there from all over the country. And that was one group. There were groups there before and after I went. I think the sales force is about 2000 now.

Back