How Are You Getting a "Letter of Dis-Enrollment" from MAPD Carriers for Med Supp Underwriters?

Any method that works? Seems to be a catch 22 and I'll having trouble wrapping my head around the Med Supp carrier's logic on this one.

Trans America Med Supp is requiring a "Letter of Dis-Enrollment" from the MAPD before offering coverage on their Med Supp for several clients who signed up for a MAPD upon turning 65, and who have not been in it long, absolutely less than 12 months.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but a client is technically dis-enrolled from the MAPD upon enrollment in a separate Part D from the MAPD.

The Part D conveys the information on the new enrollment in their plan to Medicare, and the Part D carrier communicates that info to the MAPD carrier, and then the client has to request this "Letter of Dis-Enrollment, " then the client has to sign it, return it to the MAPD and then the MAPD must produce said letter on my request for me to send to Trans America Med Supp underwriting.

This must all take place before the beginning of the month, when the client will effectively be without coverage-without the MAPD-because the enrollment to the Part D and the Med Supp were simultaneous, and both begin 9/1/2016.

It will totally be seamless. Yea, right.:twitchy:

This additional layer of bureaucracy is IMHO is asinine, and redundant. :swoon:

Opinions?

Any method that works? Seems to be a catch 22 and I'll having trouble wrapping my head around the Med Supp carrier's logic on this one.

Trans America Med Supp is requiring a "Letter of Dis-Enrollment" from the MAPD before offering coverage on their Med Supp for several clients who signed up for a MAPD upon turning 65, and who have not been in it long, absolutely less than 12 months.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but a client is technically dis-enrolled from the MAPD upon enrollment in a separate Part D from the MAPD.

The Part D conveys the information on the new enrollment in their plan to Medicare, and the Part D carrier communicates that info to the MAPD carrier, and then the client has to request this "Letter of Dis-Enrollment, " then the client has to sign it, return it to the MAPD and then the MAPD must produce said letter on my request for me to send to Trans America Med Supp underwriting.

This must all take place before the beginning of the month, when the client will effectively be without coverage-without the MAPD-because the enrollment to the Part D and the Med Supp were simultaneous, and both begin 9/1/2016.

Opinions?

I agree its ridiculous. Ive been using carriers that dont require it. Omaha only wants a copy of a signed client letter to the ma requesting cancelation so ive been using them in these cases.

Any method that works? Seems to be a catch 22 and I'll having trouble wrapping my head around the Med Supp carrier's logic on this one. Trans America Med Supp is requiring a "Letter of Dis-Enrollment" from the MAPD before offering coverage on their Med Supp for several clients who signed up for a MAPD upon turning 65, and who have not been in it long, absolutely less than 12 months. Correct me if I'm wrong, but a client is technically dis-enrolled from the MAPD upon enrollment in a separate Part D from the MAPD. The Part D conveys the information on the new enrollment in their plan to Medicare, and the Part D carrier communicates that info to the MAPD carrier, and then the client has to request this "Letter of Dis-Enrollment, " then the client has to sign it, return it to the MAPD and then the MAPD must produce said letter on my request for me to send to Trans America Med Supp underwriting. This must all take place before the beginning of the month, when the client will effectively be without coverage-without the MAPD-because the enrollment to the Part D and the Med Supp were simultaneous, and both begin 9/1/2016. It will totally be seamless. Yea, right.:twitchy: This additional layer of bureaucracy is IMHO is asinine, and redundant. :swoon: Opinions?

That's part of your decision about which companies to sell.

After Trans 15% rate increase in WA, and Oxford's upcoming 19.9% increase in UT, I pay very close attention to loss ratios now.

Trans is not a company I would place anyone with for the time being.

Big brand name company on the life side but very tiny in regards to total med supp lives covered nationwide.

Opinions?

I don't think it's that big of a deal. I just did a Trial Right 2 weeks ago. I used LCBA. They did the POS PHI and approved it and gave me a policy #. They said I'd need to fax a copy of the disenrollment letter. I also helped her enroll in the Humana Walmart plan over the phone, which as you know cancelled her MAPD. The office for the MAPD is 5 minutes from where she lives. She went by and signed the form and had them mail the letter directly to me. I had it 2 days after I wrote the supplement, and so did LCBA. LCBA simply held the policy as pending while waiting for the letter. I just couldn't be paid on it before the letter was received. Even if the MAPD isn't local, I'd think you could have the letter in 7-10 days.

That's part of your decision about which companies to sell.
Exactly. A carrier that requires the disenrollment letter doesn't understand how enrollment and disenrollment in these plans work. An applicant should only need to supply a copy of their MA ID card and a Part B date on the application date showing that it is been within the past 12 months or maybe a copy of the Medicare card. I suppose since it's GI from their point of view any obstacle to make it difficult to get the policy issued benefits them.

I did have one agent who was going through all of this to get the GI for the trial right and forgot to notice that not only was it within 12 months of the MA start date, it was still within six, so the member was still in OE and only the replacement form him was required. Not suggesting that is the case here, of course, but something that can overlooked when going for this trial right.

No. Jacob gets it.

If a company requires something needless and difficult to produce, why would you ever write that company?

Looked like you were asking a question to his comment.

Naturally we don't want it more difficult to write. Do you not write Tranny for FE? I don't, but from what I read they make it very difficult to produce.

Back