How Big is the Watch/jewelry Sector Within P&C?

dustbustir

I am trying to do some research on how big the jewelry/watch replacement sector is and there ZERO data related to this. Does anyone know how much is represented in replacement value per year?

I saw someone was claiming losses represent $100 million in replacement value per year but that seems awfully low.

Another side note, does anyone know how much premiums make up for in the industry related to jewelry/watches?

Thanks folks, everyone have a great one!

Do you know the SIC Codes for the business you are asking about? Have you run a 5-10 mile radius of your office with those SIC codes so you can see first hand?

This is your 1st post and you are asking about a specific type of business, why? Why do you want to go after jewelry stores? Do you live in urban or rural?

Have fun on the site, Cheers!

You may want to research "scheduled personal property claims."

Typically (if you schedule jewelry/watches..) it's anywhere from $6 - $20 per $1,000 of coverage & I'd say the average cost is around $12 per $1,000 of coverage when scheduling jewelry.

When scheduling an item you extend coverage to include mysterious disappearance, a stone falling out etc & no limit on theft (theft of jewelry, watches is typically limited to $1,500 - $2,500 unless scheduled.)

Some carriers also allow for blanket coverage. The insured can select $20,000 of blanket coverage (to include the same causes of loss..) so you don't need to individually list out each item & submit appraisals. The downside here, is blanket limits typically have a max per item limit which is 5k or 10k

Thanks for the info guys. I was just trying to understand the size of jewelry/watch replacement claims industry as a whole IE how much did insurance companies . There's a ton of market data on auto, health, dog bites (sort of joking :) but can't seem to find industry data on this sub-sector. Is it just too small (relatively) for people to track specifically?

Back