How Can I Get Started to Become a Top Producer ?

TWAgent

Expert
Hi all,

I am looking for a start or mentor to get into the industry. My neighbor I used to live next to was in annuity insurance. It was my understanding that he was a "producer for annuities?" Where agents contacted his company and would get new contracts daily. He also had marketers that worked for him and they sell annuities to agents nationally.

I'm trying to describe this the best I can. I'm changing careers and have heard a lot about this industry. I remember my neighbor telling me about his business quit a bit. I am working on finding out what I need to do! ;)

I really would like to get involved with this kind of business. I used to go to lunch with him and he always talked about what a great business it is and how rewarding it was. I believe he mention they were an FMO? I moved away and don't have contact with him anymore. I'm trying to get a start into the industry and start my own business with it.

Does anyone know this type of company and where I can start? If I remember right he said his lines of authority were always just annuities and life/disability.

Thank you all in advanced!

Last edited:
If you want to really mimick his business model I would call him and appoint under him so he has a financial interest in your success.

yes, I would like to do both.

Before you can become both a producer and an FMO you need to be an expert at what you do and have something more than just a policy to prospects and contracts to an agent.

You are at the beginning of the "crawling" stage, you need to become a "runner". This is a tough business and requires a lot of time and knowledge. The dues to be paid are heavy.

just moved to colorado
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
ok so what does that mean? like i said im looking for a mentor where to start. a direction and source of information. what are my options to do?

Last edited:
just moved to colorado
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
ok so what does that mean? like i said im looking for a mentor where to start. a direction and source of information. what are my options to do?

It means exactly what I said. Start where the rest of us did, at the bottom, and work your way up.

Ask yourself, "what do I have to offer to someone who will spend valuable sales time helping me get started?".

Most agents are really nice guys but we all do this to make money, not because we are bored and have nothing better to do with our time.

Hi all,
I really would like to get involved with this kind of business. I used to go to lunch with him and he always talked about what a great business it is and how rewarding it was. I believe he mention they were an FMO? I moved away and don't have contact with him anymore. I'm trying to get a start into the industry and start my own business with it.

It really sounds like are looking for someone to take the place of your former neighbor. Why not just give him a call or email him? I would imagine his contact info is readily available online, especially if he is running an FMO. He can mentor you into the business and answer all of your questions by phone and email as easily as over lunch.

Good luck and go for it!

Thanks for your response.
1. my neighbor i no longer have access to or i would have called him and not started here.
2. your answers have been general and not provided and sites or places to go of where to start.
3. of course anyone would start at th bottom...lol. did i sound like i wanted to start at th top from th get go?? come on guys....hintz th words metor and direction of where to start! provide some substanial information instead of good luck and hey contact your neighbor. sounds like you two cannot provide any place to start. wow! Thanks for th general talk. :)

Okay TW, here's the deal: First you'll need to be licensed. So find a school in your area or find one you can do online. Call your Dept. of Insurance (DOI) and see what the CO requirements are. Meanwhile, look around your area for a local agency that you can go to work with once you have obtained your insurance license. Look at several and try to decide which one will benefit you the most; interview them.

Once you have your license and have picked a company that will "mentor" you, go to work and learn and sell and learn and sell and learn some more. Do this for a couple of years (probably more), then maybe you can strike out on your own.

FMO means Field Maintenance Organization. It will take you some time before you should even think about this. An FMO has many, many agents; usually spread far and wide. Before you are an FMO, you will be what is known as a GA, then an MGA.

I hope this clears it up for you a bit.

Back