How Can One Avoid Parts B and D Penalties While Staying Overseas?

sam816

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
If he wants to stay out of the country for 2-3 years, how can he avoid penalties when he is back?

TIA.

If he wants to stay out of the country for 2-3 years, how can he avoid penalties when he is back?

TIA.

As far as I know if they cancel B & D while gone & come back they'll pay a penalty. I had a couple who went to Ireland for 10 years for a consulting job - dropped B and were penalized heavily upon returning. . . not sure if that's the norm or not.

As far as I know if they cancel B & D while gone & come back they'll pay a penalty. I had a couple who went to Ireland for 10 years for a consulting job - dropped B and were penalized heavily upon returning. . . not sure if that's the norm or not.

I know a couple lived in Taiwan for 10 years and was facing huge penalties when they wanted part B back, their penalties were eventually waived by SS, don't know how why though.

For those not yet enrolled:
You get a 2 month SEP with no late penalty for Part D upon returning. Avoiding the Part B penalty requires working or volunteering overseas and providing lots of documentation as described in the link.

When to Enroll in Medicare if You Live Outside the United States

Also:
If you're a U.S. citizen, over 65, not eligible for Social Security benefits, and you lived in a foreign country when you turned 65, you must live in the U.S. to file for Part B. You're first eligible to enroll in Part B the month you return to the U.S. to establish your new residence. You won't have to pay a late enrollment penalty if you enroll in Part B within 3 months of when you first return to the U.S.
Source: https://www.medicare.gov/people-like-me/outside-us/signing-up-for-part-b-outside-us.html

For those not yet enrolled:
You get a 2 month SEP with no late penalty for Part D upon returning. Avoiding the Part B penalty requires working or volunteering overseas and providing lots of documentation as described in the link.

When to Enroll in Medicare if You Live Outside the United States

Also:

Source: https://www.medicare.gov/people-like-me/outside-us/signing-up-for-part-b-outside-us.html

Well, mine had B when they were here & dropped it to go overseas, so I guess that's why they ended up with a huge penalty upon their return. Hey - nothing like the U.S. saying "welcome home"!!

Back