How Could this Be Avoided?

keith365

Super Genius
A woman has a mapd. She wants a med supp and drug plan for 1/1/17. She applies for the sup and the drug plan. She's approved for the drug plan, which kicks her out of her mapd. But her supp is still pending, and could be declined. If it's declined, she'd now be without any insurance other than medicare. How could this situation be avoided?

A woman has a mapd. She wants a med supp and drug plan for 1/1/17. She applies for the sup and the drug plan. She's approved for the drug plan, which kicks her out of her mapd. But her supp is still pending, and could be declined. If it's declined, she'd now be without any insurance other than medicare. How could this situation be avoided?

Wait to enroll in pdp until supp is approved. She has/had until Feb 14th to enroll in the pdp...

Remember, the issue is always getting the med supp in place 1st. With underwriting, there is always a chance of decline.

The Part D plan is automatic (no possibility of decline) as long as you do it with in Med Adv Disenrollment Period.

Always, med supp first; then do Part D.

Another word of advice, once you get late in AEP, don't promote 1/1 effective dates. Start focusing on 2/1. It gives you more time to get the med supp approved (or try another if declined). Once you have that, use MADP to move them to PDP.

Remember, the issue is always getting the med supp in place 1st. With underwriting, there is always a chance of decline.

The Part D plan is automatic (no possibility of decline) as long as you do it with in Med Adv Disenrollment Period.

Another word of advice, once you get late in AEP, don't promote 1/1 effective dates. Start focusing on 2/1. It gives you more time to get the med supp approved (or try another if declined). Once you have that, use MADP to move them to PDP.

Why would you ever market for a 1/1 effective date for prospect who is locked in after AEP since MA dis-enrollment period runs 1/1 -2/14 and effective dates can only be 2/1 or 3/1 ? Not sure how the OP got someone enrolled in PDP for 1/1 effective if they didn't have a SEP to use.

How would I become an agent and not screw up someone's insurance? ie how to get started without something like this happening?

How would I become an agent and not screw up someone's insurance? ie how to get started without something like this happening?

Hi entrep1776,

It's nice to know I'm not the only one with an MBA who's interested in insurance and has been known to drive for Uber (and Lyft). Although I've got a programming gig now so I've only done a couple of nights of the ridesharing in since early November.

There are good IMOs who can help you. Have you heard of Chris Westfall yet? His username for the forums is Daytona_Guy. He has a training site at

MedicareAgentTraining.com - Medicare training on how to sell Medicare Supplements by phone

and a site to sign up for contracts at

SellMedicareByPhone.com – Help for Agents in the Medicare Market.

He uses two separate sites because he does training for anyone who's willing to pay the fee ($97 to join, then $20 per month unless you sell something where you're signed up under him, then the fee is permanently waived). If you go to YouTube you can search for Chris Westfall and watch some of his videos.

Tim

It's not rocket science boys . . . Know your dates and products . . .

Med Sup is only guaranteed issue in certain periods . . .

However - Medicare Advantage is the devil . . . CMS makes sure that if anyone is screwed it is you the agent . . . Sub it out . . .

Hi entrep1776,

It's nice to know I'm not the only one with an MBA who's interested in insurance and has been known to drive for Uber (and Lyft). Although I've got a programming gig now so I've only done a couple of nights of the ridesharing in since early November.

There are good IMOs who can help you. Have you heard of Chris Westfall yet? His username for the forums is Daytona_Guy. He has a training site at

MedicareAgentTraining.com - Medicare training on how to sell Medicare Supplements by phone

He uses two separate sites because he does training for anyone who's willing to pay the fee ($97 to join, then $20 per month unless you sell something where you're signed up under him, then the fee is permanently waived). If you go to YouTube you can search for Chris Westfall and watch some of his videos.

Tim

Hi entrep1776,

Tim

I enjoy variety! I just started Uber mid Nov. I thought would make more money. It is fairly enjoyable. No puke or pee in my car yet. Programming gig sounds good. Nice developing multiple ways to make money. 8am to 5pm doesn't sound attractive to me.

Would you contact an IMO now before getting licensed? I think Illinois requires 8 hours of classroom work and some self study before being able to take test. Trying to wrap my head around the TOTAL start up costs before being able to go door knocking or spending on a direct mail campaign. And which lines I want to sell thinking life and health and then whatever line lets me sell E&O.

But most importantly I want to be confident I'm giving my clients good advice. Maybe the IMO is what keeps a new agent from messing things up too much?

I have not heard of Chris. I'll give it a look.

----------

It's not rocket science boys . . . Know your dates and products . . .

Med Sup is only guaranteed issue in certain periods . . .

However - Medicare Advantage is the devil . . . CMS makes sure that if anyone is screwed it is you the agent . . . Sub it out . . .

I'm finding insurance more challenging /interesting than I thought I would. From What I've read here there are lots of ways to not serve clients in their best interest.

I deal blackjack. I was arrogant going into my class to learn how to deal blackjack thinking how hard can it be to count to 21? It was much more challenging than I thought it would be.

I would think Insurance is pretty high stakes. I don't want to go in fork up someone's policy so they can't get healthcare/drugs they need. Or is it just me being nervous?

Why would you ever market for a 1/1 effective date for prospect who is locked in after AEP since MA dis-enrollment period runs 1/1 -2/14 and effective dates can only be 2/1 or 3/1 ? Not sure how the OP got someone enrolled in PDP for 1/1 effective if they didn't have a SEP to use.

I think you misread my post. Once you get late into AEP (mid November to late November), don't promise a 1/1. Seniors still think this is the only time they can change, so they get a little anxious. I am saying educate your prospects. Don't promise something that might blow up in your face.

If you are moving someone from MA to Med Supp early in AEP, go for a 1/1. If you are late into AEP (mid Nov to Dec 7th), start talking about MADP and 2/1, 3/1.

That was my point.

Back