How Credible is Online Health Insurance Quote

johnjj

Lately, I see many online health insurance websites that says it offer free online health insurance quote. I would like to know how credible are the websites are? Is it safe to share the information with these websites?

As noted, most of the sites you will encounter, even those that APPEAR to be carrier sites are just data gathering sites that will sell your information numerous times.

If you deal with an agent site, and you can easily tell the difference, your information will be used by that agent and not resold over and over again.

Of course you could always go direct to a carrier site and deal with people who have no clue what they are doing, are timed and can only take your order in 5 minutes before blowing you off and are only available during regular business hours. About half of what they tell you might be accurate if you are lucky.

This sort of worries me.

I apologize if this is in the wrong forum, as I am not a seller of insurance, rather a consumer who needs it.

In march of 2009 I applied through ehealthinsurance.com which is a very popular online site.

I filled out allll the paperwork online and applied for Anthem.

My only pre-existing that I listed was being treated for 'generalized anxiety disorder'. I was declined insurance for that reason (they also said my bmi was high, I was 25 and 250 at the time, I've lost weight since then).

In their denial letter, they stated that if i went two years treatment and symptom free, I could apply again. As of the day that I applied originally online (March 14,2009) I have not since then been treated for it. I take 80mg of prozac per day which is prescribed via my primary doc, but I haven't received any other treatment for anxiety. In my opinion it is gone.

Do I really need to wait until March of 2011 to apply again? Would applying now hurt me if I was denied again?

I've had to be so careful these last few years, worrying if something went wrong I wouldn't be covered, and I'd really like to get my insurance back.

Up until age 25 I had insurance through my parents while in school (and obviously had it while I was a child as well) but I was dumb and didn't know about the 63 day rule, so when I applied in March of 2009, it had been a few months since I was off insurance so they were able to deny me.

Any advice would be MUCH appreciated.

Thank you

Last edited:
applied originally online (March 14,2009) I have not since then been treated for it. I take 80mg of prozac per day which is prescribed via my primary doc, but I haven't received any other treatment for anxiety. In my opinion it is gone.

Why would you think the GAD is gone? If you were diabetic and taking insulin to address the symptoms of diabetes (high blood sugar) would you think you were no longer a diabetic?

You casually mention your BMI and state you were 250 at the time. While 250# is a lot it is not so bad if you are 6' 9".

Anthem isn't the only player in the game. Sometimes just because one carrier declines you doesn't mean all the others will as well.

eHealth is staffed by idiots who are little to no help. You need a real agent to offer advice.

Problem is, Obama and his gang have pretty much decided agents are superfluous so getting good advice from an experienced agent going forward is going to be a real challenge.

There are some very good CA agents on this forum who could help. Maybe one of them will step forward.

Why would you think the GAD is gone? If you were diabetic and taking insulin to address the symptoms of diabetes (high blood sugar) would you think you were no longer a diabetic?

You casually mention your BMI and state you were 250 at the time. While 250# is a lot it is not so bad if you are 6' 9".

Anthem isn't the only player in the game. Sometimes just because one carrier declines you doesn't mean all the others will as well.

eHealth is staffed by idiots who are little to no help. You need a real agent to offer advice.

Problem is, Obama and his gang have pretty much decided agents are superfluous so getting good advice from an experienced agent going forward is going to be a real challenge.

There are some very good CA agents on this forum who could help. Maybe one of them will step forward.

It would be nice if someone stepped forward, I could use the help.

Your diabetic reference can not compare to my situation. Diabetes is a physical condition, GAD is a mental condition. I've been taking prozac since I was 12, and until two years ago, was treated for GAD. Mental illnesses can be repaired which is what happened in my case. I got help for it and my anxiety is no longer there. I believe this because I no longer feel anxiety, and because I haven't seen a doctor for it in almost 2 years.

I didn't casually mention my BMI, I mentioned it as a fact, and one that was a backup reason for the denial. You saying it would be appropriate for a 6'9 has absolutely no relevance to my situation unless you were just trying to be harsh on me. I'm 6'1.

My reason for writing was not to have someone question my pre-existings, it was to ask whether applying to a different carrier prior to the 2 year mark could hurt my chances, whether I should just wait until March 14, which is the date where I have been treatment and symptom free for 2 years, or whether it would be ok to apply now to anyone, and if I get denied, just try again at the tow year mark.

Anyone who would like to help me with this can feel free to post here or leave their email, I'm in California and if possible would love to get insurance ASAP.

Last edited:
Diabetes is a physical condition, GAD is a mental condition.

Well duh!

My point is, if you are taking Prozac you still have the condition. Doesn't matter how long you have been on psych meds.

I can see already you are going to be a real challenge. Buh-bye.

Anyone who would like to help me with this can feel free to post here or leave their email, I'm in California and if possible would love to get insurance ASAP.

While I'm in CA I made the decision to no longer work with health insurance.

However, I strongly recommend you contact www.davefluker.com. Dave is about as good as it gets.

Give him a call.

Rick

Back