how did everyonw here get started

naddy512

so im brand new jst getting started moving to virginia in 2 wks already have life and health insurance license i am looking for some advice in exactly what should i do when i move to virginia i just understand that being organized is crucial so i need help making a schedule for myself so i can train myself to a routine any advice would

I just thought it would be cool it hear from the pros what their schedules are and exactly, how they got started and if they could do it all over again what they would and would not do

i sell senior products here in louisiana what i did and still do is download lists of seniors in my area (make sure they are scrubbed) and call them i was strapped for cash when i started so i could'nt afford direct mail or much anything else for that matter but i had a phone and i can talk so that's what i do if i did anything differently i guess it would be to work even harder

Well...since you asked...

It was the Summer of 1980, and I was about to graduate from Miami of Ohio. With degrees in Finance and Journalism, I had to stay an extra year and a half. I also was the Sports Editor of "The Miami Student," the oldest college newspaper in the US.

I wanted to be a Sportswriter and I sent out dozens of resumes to major newspapers. "We like your stuff kid...but you need to work at a smaller newspaper for a few years" was the common response.

The Cincinnati Enquirer offered a writing position, but it was not sports-related.

I was just about to take the job when I read about a "Career night" at a MetLife office about an hour away. It had 700 employees in the building, so I figured I would drive to the event later that week. Little did I know that you were supposed to dress appropriately (I wore shorts). You were required to bring a resume. (I brought a copy of a few articles I had written). You were required to have three years of successful sales experience (I sold Fuller Brushes for two days while in High School).

But...it sounded like a pretty good opportunity, so I accepted an offer, took all of the insurance exams in the same day (I was already in the studying mode, so it was not a problem).

They sent me to a "Success School" in October of 1980. One problem. One big problem. As a die-hard Phillies fan, the Phillies were in the World Series for the first time since 1950 (vs. KC). Needless to say, I rarely did the assigned homework (since the World Series games were televised at night) and was unofficially voted "least likely to succeed" in my class of about 25.

Well... more than 26 years later and thousands of policies later...I'm still here. Same company. Same office. And I'm able to write with virtually any company out there (must be "A" rated by A.M. Best Co.)

If I could do it all over again...I would probably come back as Bill Gates...and let him fool with insurance for 26 years.

And that's all I have to say about that.

Well...since you asked...

It was the Summer of 1980, and I was about to graduate from Miami of Ohio. With degrees in Finance and Journalism, I had to stay an extra year and a half. I also was the Sports Editor of "The Miami Student," the oldest college newspaper in the US.

I wanted to be a Sportswriter and I sent out dozens of resumes to major newspapers. "We like your stuff kid...but you need to work at a smaller newspaper for a few years" was the common response.

The Cincinnati Enquirer offered a writing position, but it was not sports-related.

I was just about to take the job when I read about a "Career night" at a MetLife office about an hour away. It had 700 employees in the building, so I figured I would drive to the event later that week. Little did I know that you were supposed to dress appropriately (I wore shorts). You were required to bring a resume. (I brought a copy of a few articles I had written). You were required to have three years of successful sales experience (I sold Fuller Brushes for two days while in High School).

But...it sounded like a pretty good opportunity, so I accepted an offer, took all of the insurance exams in the same day (I was already in the studying mode, so it was not a problem).

They sent me to a "Success School" in October of 1980. One problem. One big problem. As a die-hard Phillies fan, the Phillies were in the World Series for the first time since 1950 (vs. KC). Needless to say, I rarely did the assigned homework (since the World Series games were televised at night) and was unofficially voted "least likely to succeed" in my class of about 25.

Well... more than 26 years later and thousands of policies later...I'm still here. Same company. Same office. And I'm able to write with virtually any company out there (must be "A" rated by A.M. Best Co.)

If I could do it all over again...I would probably come back as Bill Gates...and let him fool with insurance for 26 years.

And that's all I have to say about that.

I thought Metlife only works with captive agents???? If you are able to work with other companies I obviously must be wrong

"I thought Metlife only works with captive agents???? If you are able to work with other companies I obviously must be wrong"

The MetLife General Agency is a subsidiary of MetLife and consists of hundreds of different companies that selected agents can use. Health insurance, for example, is written through the General Agency.

johnrocks

how do you download a list of seniors and also what do u mean by scrubbed

you have to get a san # from the do not call registry i forget their web address but you can google that anyway go there first and get registered and then go to a reputable list co and for about 80-100 bucks you can get a thousand names addresses and phone numbers the first company i used was marketshareonline.net they are owned by experian so they are very reputable you can also ask your fmo or get online and find some or even call some of the ins companies that you are contracted with and ask i will get a list of other firms but i can't recall any right now

cismarketing.com and precisionleads.com are 2 reputable companies both are on the allianz website if you are contracted with them you can get a discount i have used cis and was highly satisfied have not used precision yet

Prior to insurance I was working for Firestone as a service manager and bar tending part time. One of my friends at the restaurant started with Mega and was selling insurance. Well, I saw the quick money he was making, so I jumped on.

6 months later, I was broke and went back to the automotive business. I kept my insurance license, but was doing very little with it. Sold some mortgage protection, some individual health, etc.

In Dec 2005, I was laid off (1 week after my wife too was laid off her job, Merry Christmas). I saw an ad for senior market sales with Humana, went for it, and here I am today. Being laid off was the best thing I could've asked for!!!

Would I have done it again? Yep. Maybe not with Mega to start off with, but it got me where I am today.

My schedule is all over the place. Today I have a 9am appointment, then I am taking the rest of the day off (I am picking up my son from baby-mamma and spending it with him). Best advise, make a to-do list. That will help keep you on track. I have a paper planner (regular paper size, 8x11) and write is all down, and that way I can keep misc papers in there. That is my personal bible!

Back