How Do I Get Health Insurance if I Have a Business that Would Sponsor Me

timothy

I work off the books free lancing.

My dad runs a business and offers to have the business pay my insurance premiums out of the business checking account.

basically every month the business would pay my insurance bill.

But how do i use the business as a cosigner or something when applying for health coverage and have to prove income.

Do insurance accept a third party like this, if you dont really have proof of income?

what would need to be done?

m

But, it's now illegal to have him/employer pay your premiums for an individual policy. Only way, is to be a W-2 employee, and have him get a group plan that you can join.

Cute concept though.

To begin with, this is a question for your fathers business advisors. But a thought did cross my mind, since you state you are a free lance writer it does seem to me that you may be a non-employee. If so, this may provide an avenue for the company to pay the premium, even if it is to just write you a check.

He is also asking about how to get subsidies. ("applying for health coverage and having to prove income") Only way anyone asks an individual about income is going through the exchange.

To get federal subsidies (which are technically tax credits), report your freelance income and file taxes and then pay taxes on it. Which you aren't doing currently.

Back