How do I get started

SalesWolf,
I can't apologize for someone else but we've seen BS'ers over the years on these chat boards so it causes skepticism when numbers like that are mentioned from a new board participant.

Its very impressive what you've accomplished. Sorry for any insults.

No problems, thanks for the comments. There's definitely larger producers than me out there believe me. They are the ones always stealing my trips and awards...

No problems, thanks for the comments. There's definitely larger producers than me out there believe me. They are the ones always stealing my trips and awards...

Just got done looking at your profile and I wish to compliment you on the design. I see that you are your wife are expecting your 2nd child in May. Congrats. Have you found out if it is a boy or girl yet?

Originally Posted by Wprice
I'll be honest with you, I hate to sell, I hate pushing stuff on people, it stresses me out to no end. I feel slimy and ridiculous. I present information to people, answer any questions they have, follow up, and sign agreements. Agreements, not sales.

I love SALES and closing, I think if you don't enjoy it then you're in the wrong business. You don't have to be pushy in sales but you must be pro active. You can't wait for the client to make their decisions while another agent is being aggressive and telling them whatever you're offering sucks.

I'm sorry, I believe you misunderstand what I mean by "sell". First let me begin by saying I'm a P&C agent, mainly homeowners. When I say sell, I mean the high pressure tactics creating the urgency to buy right now. That isn't necessary in the Homeowners market because it's pretty much a requirement to have homeowners insurance. Before I came over to the P&C field I was a life agent. I understand the idea of following up, I enjoy helping people.

Honestly, because auto specifically is regulated by the states they really can't say, my product sucks, because for the most part every product is the same. Just different companies. When people shop auto and homeowners, especially here in a High Risk Zone as I am in on beach front, they're estatic that someone will actually cover them. You're a health agent, products and companies differ completely, not so much here.

The only thing I really have to "sell" is Life insurance, but I already have them in here talking to me about homeowners. My only question to them is, "Would you like to recieve a discount on your homeowners policy by getting some mortgage protection insurance?" Explain the policy, yes/no. Ok. I already get 15 to 20 calls each day about my product I don't have to stress about looking for clients. Here's the other thing I like about P&C, the renewals are the same as the commission each year. Slightly lower commish, hovering about 14%, but I get 14% next year and the year after that too.

Salpro, we're actually expecting our 3rd child. This one is going to be a boy, I have 2 girls so blue will be a welcome change.

Wprice, yeah that definitely makes a difference. P & C is a great market, I call it a Get Rich Slow Program. The longer you stay in the richer you get. I'm appointed with Progressive for Drive Insurance in Tennessee however I hardly ever sell any Auto.

Salpro, we're actually expecting our 3rd child. This one is going to be a boy, I have 2 girls so blue will be a welcome change.

Wprice, yeah that definitely makes a difference. P & C is a great market, I call it a Get Rich Slow Program. The longer you stay in the richer you get. I'm appointed with Progressive for Drive Insurance in Tennessee however I hardly ever sell any Auto.

Yeah but I like doubling my income each year. Instead of a small renewal we get renewals at the same rate.

You don't need any kind of degree. I know agents who didn't even make it all the way through H.S. and are making tons of money.

This is very true, and as technique goes, I like to take the role of my client's only friend guiding them through the maze of evil insurance companies out to get them. That seems to work out pretty well. Also, pretending to know what you're talking about helps...

Back