How Do Newsletters Work For You?

insurehound

Guru
100+ Post Club
Escondido
How do newsletters (both email and paper) work for your business? Do they attract new business from existing clients or do they help more to keep top-of-mind awareness with your client base? Or both?

Interesting question since I am about to get back into sending newsletters.

I stopped years ago because it was a pain to keep up with, also it can get expensive. I used to have a bulk rate permit, but that has also gotten expensive and a pain to deal with.

The reason I am getting back into newsletters is that I do think it is important to keep at the top of client's minds on a regular basis. The service I use to help create newsletters is very good, but I seriously doubt if many people really read them. That is not the real reason to send them anyway. Again, keeping in front of clients and re-establishing a level of expertise on a regular basis would be the main reasons.

I sent my 70th issue newsletter in October. It brings me a call or two from existing clients that results in new business and it keeps me in front of them in case they need help. It results in some service work each month too, but that is my job.

I sent out 2500 last month, but I sent 1500 more than usual to a targeted group of folks. I am late again getting it out this month. I also have about 300 email addresses I send it to each month. It is not fancy. I design it in MS Publisher, write a couple articles, promote the product of the month, copy and paste some short informative articles that emphasize the message I want, insert a couple profound quotes and then... I email the copy to my mail service who prints, stuffs, stamps, and mails them at bulk rate. They always arrive, even bulk mail rate, in a day or two from mailing.

Do they work? Typically I spend less than $500. Only takes a sale or two to pay for it and it keeps me in front of my clients, every month.

Back