How do you “brand” yourself?

Advisor06

Guru
100+ Post Club
I am an independent agent and as many of you I am affiliated with many different companies on the life, annuity and P&C side. The issue I run into is I don’t want to seem “small” to my clients and prospects. An agent from NY Life, Mass, Etc use their main company as the brand which can help or hurt them but they have a corporation. How or what does everyone do to stand apart? Do you use your name “John Smith Insurance Planning” or do you have a DBA? From my understanding you can use your name without having to register it with the DOBI but I have kicked around creating a DBA but then I feel I lose myself. Any suggestions?

Some time ago I learned to PROPERLY ask for referrals. I am almost 100% referral now. They are free, and have an extremely high close rate.

There is no business name, logo, gimmick, tune, photo etc. that you can have that will be anywhere near as positive as someone hearing from someone they trust "use so and so. He took good good care of me, and knows his stuff" You could have the worst name and logo, and smell like actual cat poo, and you'd still run circles around your competition. Many of my clients don't know or remember or even care what the name of my company is. They sure as hell know who I am, and that I'll take care of them, though. I'm here on a Saturday trying to keep up with all the business. I don't even have time to worry about stuff like that.

Last edited:
There must be a reason why you are not a MAssmutual agent. Your introduction has to explain why you are independent, in your own words. When I had similar concerns like you earlier in my career. Client would say something that the captive MassMutual agent said. My response, I am glad I am not with Massmutual, there is always a new sales contest or product of the month to sell. I am not sure what the agent said is the best solution for you, lets figure that out first and if Massmutual is the best company, we can move forward. I also work with them independently.

What I am really wondering is what do you put on your business card, letterhead, envelopes, etc.? Since I don’t work for one company or use a DBA like “Axe Capital” how do you present your material So you don’t look like someone who works out of their home

I tell my clients I work out of my home. I say Im mostly on the road but I work out of a home office. I’ve never had an issue. Not sure why it would be. You’re not an insurance company. You’re just a person to help them find the best fit for them.

One the ways to know whether you can make it in the insurance industry or not is the day you understand what you call yourself means absolutely nothing. I figured this out in my second year, some have done it faster than me( I am jealous).
If it is hard for you to say I am first name last name. I sell life insurance, try some humor.

For instance,

I sell life insurance for a living. Whenever I fly long distance in first class, as soon as I mention what I do, it is amazing how many times I have flown just by myself. Or say this with high energy

I don't want you to shake my hand and run away in a hurry like most but I sell life insurance.

Eventually you will forget about what to say on your business card or what do you call yourself.

I spent the first three years indy trying to "brand myself." Biggest waste of time and money ever. I have so many different business cards with fiverr.com logos and insurance company logos sitting around that now I just tell folks take my number instead of giving a business card. Wasted money buying domains and all of that.

Now my email is a domain with my personal name. I tell everyone I work out of a very small office (which is actually my home) not fit for clients because I do mostly home visits. Than I give them the address to the company's home office.

All that branding stuff for me came out because I drank the kool-aid of being captive and working in a nice office so when I went indy I thought I needed that to compete. It was all personal insecurities and a lack of a sense of direction. Once I felt secure saying what I did for a living and realized I just wanted to put food on my table, I stopped caring about those things.

You not wanting to seem "small" to your clients and prospects is just noise in your own head.

Back