How do you ask for ss# and dl#

scottinaustin

Hello,

We've recently started purchasing internet leads. One thing I've noticed in my short experience working with these people is that many are super-cautious about giving me their drivers license and social security numbers. I can't say I blame them for being cautious given the problem with identity fraud in society but I need this information to get them an accurate quote. I assume that most other companies require this information as well.

So...for the people who immediately say "I won't give out that information over the phone" what can I say to make them feel at ease and give me the info so I can get them their quote.

I appreciate your advice. Thanks.

I assume you're talking about auto insurance?

Have you tried explaining why you need the info?

If they still won't give it to you after explaining, you don't have a prospect, they don't trust you enough yet.

Occupational hazard.

AARP, state attorneys general, and numerous other have drummed into people's heads that you don't ever, EVER, give out that information over the phone. I wouldn't myself.

I think it is a waste of time trying to figure a way to get the info on the phone --a few may, but most will never do it.

Can't you turn this into a plus by saying something like "we need to get DL and SS for an accurate quote but we appreciate that you may not wish to do that over the phone, so we are willing to come to you and present quotes from the major companies right in your home."

That is assuming, of course, that your leads are local.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Another thought: get a secure socket for your site where you can show people, with all the seals, decals and insurance against identity theft, that they can submit the information safely and online.

Last edited:
This is one reason why I do not sell over the phone or on the internet. Well, I do not sell much anyway, but when I do, it's in person. And, I'm in Austin.

I concur. I've maybe had 1 or 2 issues over the past years with anyone giving me their information. If they balk when it's time to give their social it's an easy explanation - you didn't build trust.

I ask over two hundred people plus per year for their Social Security number over the phone, and not a single one has refused.

Are these people that are already familiar with you? I mean, have you done business with them before or do they at least already know who you are when you talk to them?

I haven't run into this, but I also don't work internet leads. If you get someone like this, why not just complete the entire application with them over the phone and leave the SS# and DL# blank, mail it to them, with a forwarding envelope to the carrier. If they balk at that, move on.

Are these people that are already familiar with you? I mean, have you done business with them before or do they at least already know who you are when you talk to them?

Yes, of course. We're at the application stage.

Occasionally someone will ask, "do I have to give it to you?" I always reply, "only if you want the insurance."

scottinaustin has a tougher task, he needs the DL# to run an MVR, and a SS# to run credit to get an accurate quote.

That makes sense.

I would think that if someone is just getting a phone call in response to something they saw and the first time they talk to somebody they are getting asked for SS and DL, that would be rough.

Back