How do you get the new MBI when enrolling client doesn’t have it?

wehotex

Guru
1000 Post Club
Houston, Tex
Last year, I was able to get these through mymedicare.gov by inputting The HICN, but it won’t accept those anymore as of January 1. What can I use now to get the MBI?

You can call in with the client to Medicare and sit on hold for at least an hour. In Louisiana, we have a state rep who deals with Medicare/Medicaid cases that can get the number to us if we send in an email. I would reach out to your uplines or broker managers and see if they know of anything available similarly in Texas.

We have freedom here in FL, they do it in minutes. I did get an email from a company that was much bigger like Humana or United this past month who said they would do it too. But I can’t remember who it was

UnitedHealthcare and a local insurance company do it here in California but Anthem & Blue Shield do not.

It usually takes 2 to 2.5 weeks after the person applies before the insurance companies can get the MBI number. UHC and a local insurance company require the applicants social security #.

For those who are supposedly using carriers to get the MBI, have you tried since January 1? You might find your source has been cut out since that was the deadline that the old Medicare number could be used with CMS systems.

For those who are supposedly using carriers to get the MBI, have you tried since January 1? You might find your source has been cut out since that was the deadline that the old Medicare number could be used with CMS systems.

i have not. Should be trying it soon. Plus, the Uhc email came out after 1/1 saying they would do it.

register at mymedicare.gov. Takes 30 seconds to print out your Medicare id card.

Unfortunately it takes the new medicare number to create that account.

From Medicare.gov create account:
Medicare Card
Check your red, white, and blue Medicare card. Enter your Medicare Number as it appears on your Medicare card, with or without dashes. Check carefully, since letters can look similar to numbers. (The letters B, I, L, O, S and Z are not used in Medicare Numbers.)

If you're new to Medicare and don't have your Medicare card yet, you can get your Medicare Number by logging into your Social Security account.This link opens a new window or tab. If you need help registering, contact us at 1-800-633-4227. TTY: 1-877-486-2048.

On the SS site you have to "get a benefit verification letter" up on the screen and go to the Medicare Information section. You can find your new Medicare number in that section. (You can look at the letter on the screen, you do not have to print it or request a copy from SS.)

On the SS site you have to "get a benefit verification letter" up on the screen and go to the Medicare Information section. You can find your new Medicare number in that section. (You can look at the letter on the screen said:
FYI, I tried to open my SS account online years ago. It kept failing but wouldn't say why. It only advised me to call them. I eventually learned that it was because I keep a freeze on my credit.

I doubt many seniors freeze their credit, but should you help them with the SS account and are thwarted by some vague error, that could be it. They'd need to temporarily thaw their credit.

Back