How Do You Go About Finding a Producer Position at a Indie?

mr_furly

Expert
FL
I know this is a silly question...but bear with me.

Ive been self employed for the past few years. Mostly via online ventures.
Long story short...I hit a financial plateau and simultaneously began to become fascinated with person to person sales (Prospecting, negotiation, closing, etc...).

So I dumped everything and began looking into different paths into a sales career.
Insurance has caught my eye.
Ive yet to take the P&C test (im not worried about that).

Independent seems the way to go, but im just curious as to how I get into a indie agency.
Im in Chicago, and have noticed a ton of captive agencies are looking for agents/producers. but none of the indie's are on the typical job sites.

Should I go around to different independent agencies and introduce myself?

Im just trying to tie all this up in my head before I fully jump in and immerse myself in the insurance world.

Thanks

A captive place may not be a bad place to get your feet wet.

hmmm....ill look more into it.

How does that change your learning curve once you go out on your own as a independent (learning at an Indie Vs. Captive)?

Thanks for your input.

perhaps send your resume to the IA's in your area. I would bet some of them may be looking for a new producer.

I would take and pass the license test, and start hitting the street. Prospect agencies just like you are prospecting customers to sell insurance.

I would LOVE it if an "aggressive" guy came in my office looking for a job.

I would take and pass the license test, and start hitting the street. Prospect agencies just like you are prospecting customers to sell insurance.

DONE!!

Thanks for this.
Wasnt sure if the move was to look for a job pre license...or after license.

I'll study up...and then hit the streets to see what my options are.

DONE!!

Thanks for this.
Wasnt sure if the move was to look for a job pre license...or after license.

I'll study up...and then hit the streets to see what my options are.

Definitely agree with others here that you should obtain your license first. Then have a one-page resume prepared by a professional service. You can start working on that now, of course and add the licensing item to the resume later.
As for finding independent agencies who might be interested in a producer, many of the best ones do not advertise their needs. So, a well-dressed, business casual walk-in, with a business card and resume in-hand, will probably result in the most interest in your services. If you can present yourself well and demonstrate strong sales ability, there will be plenty of interest in you. You will also be demonstrating initiative. Remember, agency principals are sales people themselves and the good ones definitely appreciate a well-prepared prospect.

You can reach me through my website if you would like for me to elaborate on any of this for you.

Best to you!

What should this "aggressive" guy ask for compwise without coming of as too greedy?

Back