How do you handle agents lying to your clients

Dec 11, 2008

1. bill3173

bill3173 Guru

State:
    North Carolina
    I just received an email from a current Life Client, that was reviewing health plans with me before the holidays.

She said that another agent told her that the Carrier/plan that I presented was only good in her home state and that they were not very good anyway.

Reading this instantly gave me a headache, not because I couldn't deflect the argument, but because it pitted me against this lying asshole, who is a captive BC agent. Naturally, I couldn't tell her that, so I just countered the arguments and she is going to move forward with the plan that I presented.

This happens once per year. Last year it was a World Insurance agent that told a different customer that the GR plan that we decided on, was nothing more than a discount plan. I mean stupid arguments like that... she sent me this assholes email to her, and I nearly fell out of my chair.

Just wondered how you handle this type stupid ****.

bill3173, Dec 11, 2008
  2. moonlightandmargaritas

moonlightandmargaritas Guru

State:
    Florida
    I've started turning 'em in the the Department of Insurance. Especially if you've got documention.

3. CHUMPS FROM OXFORD

CHUMPS FROM OXFORD Guru

State:
    Ohio
    Good idea.

I always tell the client to have the other broker "put his comments in writing" so I can review them. Corny, but the other brokers seem to back off when they hear that.

4. Norwayguy

Norwayguy I have spent way too much time here.

State:
    Maine
    After deflecting the lies, the customer is normally on your side that the other agent was trying to "take them for a ride" have them document a letter for the DOI and have them sign it....at least in Maine the DOI pretty much ignores agent complaints but does act when they recieve a signed customer complaint.

5. ABC

ABC Guru

I just take the client from them.
    I don't waste my time with sending them to the DOI.

If it comes down a real pissing match I always throw out references for the prospect to call on my services.
    99% of the time the other lying agent has no references to provide.

ABC, Dec 11, 2008
  6. Expat

Expat Guru

State:
    Texas
    As the guy was stupid enough to put lies in writing, why not just forward the email to the DOI.

Expat, Dec 11, 2008
  7. moonlightandmargaritas

moonlightandmargaritas Guru

State:
    Florida
    I used to have this philosophy.

Got tired of the crap. Someone has to do something about the bad practitioners in this business. It hurts all of us.

If not me, who? If not now, when?

Hardly a waste of time.

8. saieddie

saieddie Guru

State:
    Virginia
    If the other agent is dumb enought to put bad information in writing then turn them in. Usually, I've found its the client misunderstanding what the other agent is saying. Insurance clients only remember about 1% of what we tell them.

saieddie, Dec 11, 2008
  9. ABC

ABC Guru

You guys make a valid point.

ABC, Dec 11, 2008
  10. Winter_123

Winter_123 Guru

I just tell them that "I am upfront, full disclosure person so when we get together you are welcome to have the other agent sit in as well so that we can arrive at the best option for you."

I do think that if this is only happening to you once a year that you could just shrug a few times and count your blessings. I dont disagree with those who have chosen to make this their battle. I am just saying that it is an energy sink and I agree with the idea that the best revenge/response is simply to make the client yours.