How do you handle an irate client?

Frank Stastny

Guru
5000 Post Club
Florida
I say a very pleasant hello over the phone and then agree with everything they are upset about.

Nothing disarms an angry person quicker than agreeing with them. Once they calm down then I can address their problem. It is much easier to solve once they have had a chance to "yell as someone".

Works with my wife too, well, most of the time. :lol:

I do not know how to handle them, but I know not to tell them "calm down."

A person should never say that to someone that is excited or nervous as actually, it will torque them up more.

I say a very pleasant hello over the phone and then agree with everything they are upset about.

Depends if I want to keep them as a client. Too long in the tooth in this profession to get my panties in a wad over someone who get ups set (most of the time).

As a matter of fact, the more frustrated I begin to feel over an irate client, the more I am inclined to let them slide into the abyss. I don't herd agents and I am very well not going to cow tail to clients. Dang... don't I sound like some old fart who woke up on the wrong side of life! :yes:

That said... what you said is, in my estimation, is one the best ways to respond. I call it stroking the feathers, much like calming a chicken that's all huffed up. Follow agreeing with them with well placed questions that show you are intently listening. Your tone is slow and understanding, reaffirm how they feel and how you would feel much the same.

...that's if you want to keep them.

Depends if I want to keep them as a client. Too long in the tooth in this profession to get my panties in a wad over someone who get ups set (most of the time).

As a matter of fact, the more frustrated I begin to feel over an irate client, the more I am inclined to let them slide into the abyss. I don't herd agents and I am very well not going to cow tail to clients. Dang... don't I sound like some old fart who woke up on the wrong side of life! :yes:

That said... what you said is, in my estimation, is one the best ways to respond. I call it stroking the feathers, much like calming a chicken that's all huffed up. Follow agreeing with them with well placed questions that show you are intently listening. Your tone is slow and understanding, reaffirm how they feel and how you would feel much the same.

...that's if you want to keep them.
You may not know this and if you do, apologies but Frank died a few years back.

I don't even do Medicare but he was super knowledgeable and even built a CRM for agents.

I've personally met several longtime posters from this board and he's really one that I feel like I missed out on.

Back