How does an Independent Agent get in the P&C Business?

First things first... do you have a plan? You can certainly attract decent p&C companies if you have a game plan. You are going into business, can you afford this? It is expensive, you will probably starve for a few years, and then it'll slow start turning around. If you are preparred for this, have a business plan, marketing plan (or "ideas" written down, graphed out) with timelines, expected commission and sales, adding staff, and again big on HOW your going to get the business.

If that isn't what you had planned, your other options are really 1) go exclusive (Allstate, Farmers (ouch), Liberty, etc) and be an employee, or 2) join up with a independant agent to learn the ropes. You in central VA? I'm that later example, happy to look at a go-getter sales producer.:spinny:

Hello, guys. I don't have a P&C license as of yet, but am going to take the course this summer. What I am wondering is, how can I get an appointment with a P&C carrier for Auto and Homeowners (that's all I really want, to start off with), without having to go and work for another agency. Are there any carriers who will appoint a new agent, without any P&C experience, or should I be trying to get under a local agency as a 'sub-agent', in order to get experience. I don't want to close my own business, just so I can sell P&C.

Thanks, Dave

Are you already selling L/H?

Last edited:
DJS,

Can you name some non-standard carriers? Thanks.

For auto:
Western United (part of AAA)
Bristol West (Coast National), recently bought by Farmers
Financial Indemnity (Unitron Specialty)
Victoria Insurance

For home:
Foremost
probably lots more......

If you are going to write P&C as an independent, I would highly recommend having at least 1 auto and 1 home nonstandard carrier to place the high risks. I would also recommend that as a policy, not to write these as single pieces of business, unless there is other business to be obtained by doing it. It does help in the case where you have a whole family that you wouldn't write because somebody has 2 DUI's, or a suspended (or no) drivers license.

Dan

gradyinsurance -

Did you obtain your P/C License?? And have you gotten set-up with an agency to help you out yet?

Email me at [email protected] - I am with an Independent Insurance Agency in NC that is setting up a "market sharing" group. I would be happy to talk with you about possibilities.

Visit our website to see what carriers we represent.

Let me know if you are interested.

Latest posts

Back