How does one sell a Med Sup Anyway?

Bill Miner

Long time reader, just never had the need to chime in. Have done well with MAPD and FE, and my plan is to focus on Med Sups next year

I have some clients with Sups, but hit me I've never "sold" one--they were carrier or client referrals

I tried T65 and most of those are not getting B until 66/2 months.

When I ask about Med sups in person, I'm told "Yeah I have a Plan F"--when I suggest they could save $500 a year with an "N" they look at me as if I asked them to donate a kidney. "Oh no no no, no thanks"

So how the devil are these things sold? 13 million have one, so I assume someone sold one once!

Long time reader, just never had the need to chime in. Have done well with MAPD and FE, and my plan is to focus on Med Sups next year

I have some clients with Sups, but hit me I've never "sold" one--they were carrier or client referrals

When I ask about Med sups in person, I'm told "Yeah I have a Plan F"--when I suggest they could save $500 a year with an "N" they look at me as if I asked them to donate a kidney. "Oh no no no, no thanks"

So how the devil are these things sold? 13 million have one, so I assume someone sold one once!

I work with T65’s only. Med supps and mapd. I never have sold a Med supp either. Just educate your clients on their options and the answer will come on which to choose.
If you decide to sell to the 66+ crowd you’ll probably be better moving a Plan F client to a G. Well it’ll be easier to say, “for $400 less a year you’ll only owe a small deductible”.

I work with T65’s only. Med supps and mapd. I never have sold a Med supp either. Just educate your clients on their options and the answer will come on which to choose.
If you decide to sell to the 66+ crowd you’ll probably be better moving a Plan F client to a G. Well it’ll be easier to say, “for $400 less a year you’ll only owe a small deductible”.
T65s are a dead end for me, and other local agents. T65s get so much stuff they just toss it. People with higher incomes gravitate to Med supps--so they often work past 65.

And suggesting any change once they have a med supp they take to be a scam.

Ive never sold FE---they either want it or they dont. NO selling

MAPD is sold.

I understand MAPD and FE perfectly which is not even the question. The question is Med Supps

But thanks anyway for "all" of your "help"

Ive never heard one person say mapd is sold but if you have to sell it you may have to sell a med supp yourself.

But I don’t know how you plan on making it in med supps if you think t65’s are a dead end and the 66+ crowd thinks it’s a scam. Those are literally your two options to sell to

Ive never sold FE---they either want it or they dont. NO selling

MAPD is sold.

I understand MAPD and FE perfectly which is not even the question.
The question is Med Supps

But thanks anyway for "all" of your "help"

(Not an agent,)

I think you have clearly identified the reason you do not sell Med Supps.

Medicare Supplements and Medicare Advantage/Medicare Advantage Drug Plans are two different solutions to the same problem for Medicare beneficiaries. If you are licensed and contracted to sell both, but only selling one, the reason(s) have to lie in your client qualification steps and your sales presentations.

Forum member Newby made a recent post somewhere where he described a basic qualification approach to use in a client discussion. He may have additional fine points he uses in the interview, but he uses those basic questions to guide him towards a Med Supp or MAPD presentation. You might benefit from finding and reading those.

Unless you genuinely believe both Med Supps and MAPD are insurance solutions of value for a Medicare beneficiary and develop a presentation that gives both a fair chance, you will continue to sell only MAPD.

(And a side note: if you are in the market I think you are in, the issue is definitely NOT your market or the attitudes of the individual insurance purchasers within it.)

You're in MO and have the anniversary rule so health is likely not an issue. Yet you have problems learning how to save people money?

Female N/S 65619
UHC issue age 65 Plan F = $200
Cigna issue age 70 Plan F = $164

Seriously? You can't figure out how to sell Med Supps?

Rick

Just to make sure this is seen, you said, "When I ask about Med sups in person, I'm told "Yeah I have a Plan F"--when I suggest they could save $500 a year with an "N" they look at me as if I asked them to donate a kidney. "Oh no no no, no thanks"

It sounds like you are trying to take them straight from Plan F to Plan N without any consideration other than saving them money.

Selling Med Supps (and MAPD many times) is about education. Until you can sit and show a person why they want to NOT be on an F Plan you're going to continue to fail miserably. You seem to be trying to take a huge shortcut.

Back