How does one sell a Med Supp?

What are your conversion numbers?

How many flyers do you send?
How many show up?
How many become clients?
Etc.

What does the library room cost you? Like $50 - $100 for an hour or so?

I send over 3k/month. 6 seminars. I get anywhere from 3-10 show up at each.
I just started doing this is March so I’m not sure of the conversion rate. But I’m signing up half or so and should be able to continue that. Last month was the first month I could sign most of my people from March up.

My seminar last week had 8 show up. One was a mom and daughter so only the mom was eligible. One couple was a t65 sept for the husband and t65 1/1/2021 for the wife. So out of 6 possible eligible this year, I set 4 appts. (One of those 4 being a t65 couple this year).
So I’m hoping to get 5 sales from it this year.

And in another seminar I had 3 show up and 2 of them had great group coverage. I can only hope to get 1 sale from it this year.

It’s hit or miss. But I prefer this method 100% over calling internet leads, using TM’s, or direct mail.
Everyone has their own method and I’ve heard a lot of people fail at seminars.

Speaking as a failed salesperson who has looked enviously at all the assorted ways people succeed in your business, I would recommend stopping with just, "everyone has their own method".

It is not too hard for me to think of things that might be "hard" or "impossible" in relation to about any method you might present me for selling Medicare products. However in relation to using seminars, I continue to hold two things in my mind as positives about that approach.

One is all of Newby's posts. He used to do monthly seminars at a hospital and I think he indicated in one post that that was the sole source of business, beyond referrals, for his own successful personal agency.

The other was a comment by an IMO, in a training session, about one of their agents who sells solely by seminar--does the seminar and then writes up the contracts in the back of the room immediately after the seminar. No home visits (with very rare exceptions) and no office requirement.

ChazM, how far out are you targeting T65s? 6 months or a year? Do you use a flyer you created yourself and hand-address the envelopes?

There's a guy in my area who buys T65 lists a year out. I used to buy T65 leads 4-6 months out, then a few seniors asked if I knew so-and-so, as he came to see them already. They already enrolled with him. Then a few months ago I mentioned it at a live FMO meeting and an agent who lives in a nearby county said the same agent "blows up" his county, too. Apparently this guy does this all over my area.

I've done a few educational-only seminars and will do more.

I send over 3k/month. 6 seminars. I get anywhere from 3-10 show up at each.
I just started doing this is March so I’m not sure of the conversion rate. But I’m signing up half or so and should be able to continue that. Last month was the first month I could sign most of my people from March up.

My seminar last week had 8 show up. One was a mom and daughter so only the mom was eligible. One couple was a t65 sept for the husband and t65 1/1/2021 for the wife. So out of 6 possible eligible this year, I set 4 appts. (One of those 4 being a t65 couple this year).
So I’m hoping to get 5 sales from it this year.

And in another seminar I had 3 show up and 2 of them had great group coverage. I can only hope to get 1 sale from it this year.

It’s hit or miss. But I prefer this method 100% over calling internet leads, using TM’s, or direct mail.

Did you stop doing your DM to T65?

What kind of flyer are you using?
How do you handle the RSVPs? Yourself?
Give any materials at the seminar?

Last edited:
ChazM, how far out are you targeting T65s? 6 months or a year? Do you use a flyer you created yourself and hand-address the envelopes?

There's a guy in my area who buys T65 lists a year out. I used to buy T65 leads 4-6 months out, then a few seniors asked if I knew so-and-so, as he came to see them already. They already enrolled with him. Then a few months ago I mentioned it at a live FMO meeting and an agent who lives in a nearby county said the same agent "blows up" his county, too. Apparently this guy does this all over my area.

You mean the other agent signs people up earlier? How much earlier?

- MedSupp can be 6 months out from T65 I believe (don't do a lot of MedSupps).
- MAPD can only be 3 months out from T65 and they need their Medicare number first, so really like 2 months out from T65.

Quote Chazm or he might not see your post.

Back