How does one sell a Med Supp?

If you are referring to the radio program, I do it monthly (weekly can be overkill in this area)...I come up with specific Medicare related topics, issues or whatever may be of interest in my area, run it by my compliance officer (there are some things you can't say over the airwaves) …. send a copy of questions to the show host to ask me and then proceed with the topics. It is a "call-in" show so, needless to say, I never get through my script. The phone bank fills quickly with Medicare questions and problems. The station I use is listened to by my target audience at 11:00 a.m. There are occasions where I will do an evening show (about 3 times annually) focused on T-65's and Medicare eligibles that are contemplating retirement.

If you are referring to the radio program, I do it monthly (weekly can be overkill in this area)...I come up with specific Medicare related topics, issues or whatever may be of interest in my area, run it by my compliance officer (there are some things you can't say over the airwaves) …. send a copy of questions to the show host to ask me and then proceed with the topics. It is a "call-in" show so, needless to say, I never get through my script. The phone bank fills quickly with Medicare questions and problems. The station I use is listened to by my target audience at 11:00 a.m. There are occasions where I will do an evening show (about 3 times annually) focused on T-65's and Medicare eligibles that are contemplating retirement.

That's interesting, about how much does it cost you?

Monthly cost is $650 (a 50,000 watt station) that includes ten 30 second commercials and five promo's (i.e. "The news is brought to you by...…"). The evening show costs $800 - $1,000 per show (they say it's one hour but actually only 43 minutes because of news, commercials and other promo's)

My daughter goes on the air with me to make the program seem a bit more personal....she is licensed as well.

A couple of years ago I attended a seminar hosted by a broker with a huge book of business. I talked with her after and she said she's CPR/First Aid certified. It came in handy once during a seminar when a senior attendee choked and she saved her life. Word spread and it gave her a lot of referrals.

Then last fall I worked as a project assistant for a company that hosts events for a major senior retiree group carrier. During AEP, two seniors had major health events (stroke/heart attack) and their lives were saved by nurses who worked for the carrier and were there to answer questions. The attendees were a tough crowd of retired teachers, angry their benefits were changing. But when they saw two former colleagues lives saved at these meetings, their tune changed.

Guess who's getting certified this summer?

A couple of years ago I attended a seminar hosted by a broker with a huge book of business. I talked with her after and she said she's CPR/First Aid certified. It came in handy once during a seminar when a senior attendee choked and she saved her life. Word spread and it gave her a lot of referrals.

Then last fall I worked as a project assistant for a company that hosts events for a major senior retiree group carrier. During AEP, two seniors had major health events (stroke/heart attack) and their lives were saved by nurses who worked for the carrier and were there to answer questions. The attendees were a tough crowd of retired teachers, angry their benefits were changing. But when they saw two former colleagues lives saved at these meetings, their tune changed.

Guess who's getting certified this summer?

I mean that’s great and all, but your chances of actually needing it at a seminar might be less than 1%

Back