How I Got my California Life & Health Insurance License for Just $400 (all In) Over Just 3 Weeks.

How I got my California Life & Health Insurance
License for just $400 (all in) over just 3 weeks.

Here is the breakdown and quick links if you don’t want to read the entire article:

State Fees $ 154
Testing Fee $ 45
Parking Fee $ 10
Fingerprinting Fees $ 73.30 (includes $15 Rolling Fee)
Pre-License Courses $ 69
Video Cram Course $39.99
---------------------------------------------------------
Total $391.21
I'll post all the links to the sites (for your convenience) where I did all this, as soon as the board allows me to.
------------------------------------------------------------

I’ve recently wanted to get my California Life & Health license and looked all over for a detailed post or site showing where to go to do it inexpensively and efficiently.

That’s how I found this website. It had a lot of good information but no single post with exactly where to go and how to do it.

So I pieced through a lot of posts here, spoke to agencies and scoured the internet to find all that I needed. I want to save YOU time and post about my experiences – so you can have something I couldn’t find – An All Inclusive Set of instructions on getting your license quickly and inexpensively.

I will post the rest of this with full links, in several posts.

I had so much to say, I've started a BLOG on the subject. You can read the entire article here in several posts OR you can read the entire thing here:

Entire Article Here

An All Inclusive Set of instructions on getting your license quickly and inexpensively.

Before I start, I would like explain my rational and a bit about me:

1) I live in the Los Angles County area.. This means that while most of this info will apply to anyone in California – a portion of it (testing center and fingerprints) will have to be customized to your area.

2) I am not an Insurance expert! A matter of fact, I’m just the opposite – I’ve just begun my journey. The following is just a detailed map of what I did.

3) I’m not saying this is necessarily the BEST or Easiest way of going about it – Instead it’s the most cost effective and simplest. (according to me – please see #2) You might find that you have other needs (like an in-person class??) so that might be better for you.

4) I am not getting paid to send you somewhere – this is just me, trying to help out.

5) The information below is correct to the best of my knowledge – BUT MIGHT BE OUT-OF DATE, INCORRECT, ILLEGAL or UNRELIABLE – ALWAYS CHECK THE STATE WEBSITES BEFORE SPENDING ANY TIME OR MONEY TO VERIFY VALIDITY.

O.K., now that that’s done:

Expect this process to take anywhere from 3 – 6 weeks, depending on how quickly you invest your time and how serious you are about getting it done.

HERE ARE THE STEPS!

Step 1 – Deciding which license you will need:

I got my California Life, Health and Disability License. The State is now calling this the: Resident Insurance Producer ((Life-Only Agent (LO) & Accident> and <Health (AH) License)). This is basically one test (and courses) that gets you the 2 licenses at once.

(If you are looking to get a property/liability/auto type license, this article is not intended for you BUT you might be able to still get something out of it)

Life-Only Agent – You can sell traditional life insurance, endowments, annuities, accidental death and disability income.*

Accident and Health Agent – Health Insurance (sickness), bodily injury, accidental death, disability income, 24 hour Care coverage, as well as Long Term Care insurance.*

Combined Life, Accident and Health Agent – Combines the above 2 licenses into one test and application.

* You might need additional classes and certs for some of these listed products

Some people (Those that want you to just sell their product only.. they are thinking of themselves not YOU) might suggest you get the LIFE ONLY license. I believe this is a big mistake. You are going to spend $400 and about 50 real man hours (including research, classes, tests, etc) getting here. Getting only the life, means you will spend 40 hours and $350… Spend the little extra time and $50 extra bucks now – It’s probably worth it!

Step 2 – Getting your ‘Pre Licensing’ Classes Complete

If you are going for your Combined Life & Health (like me) you will need 2 classes before you can take the test:

40 Hour – Life, Accident and Health Agent Course (combined)
12 Hour – Ethics Class

You can take this class either: In person, through the mail or Online. I suggest doing it online – it’s cheaper and you will probably only spend about 20 hours actually working the class instead of the whole 40 you would in-person.

The lease expensive (yet still workable) class I could find is:

Mike Russ ‘Online Only’ Pre-License Class for $69

Online Courses

The front end website (where you purchase it) is a little hard to navigate since they are trying to sell mostly the in-person stuff – but the actual course website it pretty easy and you can always call them toll free to help with registration.

NOW REGISTER FOR THE ONLINE CLASS (pay the $69)

REMEMBER: These Pre classes will not prepare you for the State test! They are there to give you general information, most of which you will forget with-in a week of taking the class.. Your objective here is to just FINISH THE CLASS QUICKLY. You will be taking another class (The Test Prep Class) which will get your ready for your state test.

How long will it take?

If you spend 3 hours a day – you should be able to complete both classes in about 5 ‘working’ days total. Make sure to plan ahead and schedule when/where you will be doing this.. If you need to get out of the house (distractions, kids, etc) goto a starbucks or anywhere with wifi.

To get through the class you need to: 1) Complete each section 2) Take the section test 3) Complete the Course Test. (You DO NOT need to take the pre-test).

Hints:

1) Download and Save each Chapter Section (PDF) in advance. Print them out if you want to (find a cheap way of printing – inkjets are expensive) or just use them as a pdf (that’s what I did). Label each PDF as you save it with the section name (disability, etc), and save them to the same file folder (to make it easier to find later) You will use these to take the test. Why just use your memory for test taking, when you have the material right in-front of you!

2) Skip through each section as quick as possible and get to the section test… then use your pdf to find the answers to the section test.

3) Remember: the course has a timer, you need to complete 40 hours and 12 hours. BUT that does not mean you can’t let the clock run overnight as you are studying.

4) Take the final test… remember to use your printed (or pdf) material (or google) to find the answers.

5) Remember: Don’t try and learn everything here! (you can always come back later after you have your license) Your object is just to get through this thing as quick as you can.. Spending a lot of time here will probably not help your test taking or your career success.

Once you have completed your tests – print out your certificates. Save the PDF certificates in the same file you saved your manual. Keep everything in one place, make it easy for yourself!

MORE TO COME IN FUTURE POSTS!

Back