How Likely is It that this Would Catch On? Could I Face Legal Trouble?

Jeff Crockett

I turn 18 the day after tomarrow; and am on summer vacation between my Junior and Senior years in High School.

: In Virginia, anyone 18 or older can become a Notory Public by simply filling out an application and paying the fee, and then it's pretty much open enrollment from there.

And the thing about Virginia is if you get pulled over for speeding or something, if you are under 18 the courts require "parental notification."

But it is not the cop that notifies the parents. He just gives you the ticket and sends you on your way.

On the ticket it says that if you are under 18, you cant prepay the fine and avoid coming to court, you have to show up in court with a parent or legal guardian so they know the parents are aware of the ticket.

BUT there is an exception where you can still prepay the fine as a minor without going to the court with a parent: And that is if your parent also signs the ticket, AND it is signed by a notary public saying that IDs were checked and they witnessesed your parents signing the ticket. THEN Virginia traffic courts are satisfied that your parents were informed and accept your mail-in payment.

So what if I became a notary public over the summer? Then get a little business going in September: Anyone under 18 who got a speeding ticket who doesnt want their parents to know can forge their parents signature, come to me with the ticket, and I'll notorize it as if I checked the Parent's IDs and witnessed them signing it.

Then the ticket is taken care of in the eyes of the court, parents don't find out, I charge $100 to do it, and everyone's satisfied.

Could that work?

I think it's absolutely brilliant. And I'm sure that the parent doesn't need to sign in front of the notary.

You're only mistake is posting here. Now thousands of unemployed in VA will become notaries and steal your brilliant idea.

Rick

I turn 18 the day after tomarrow; and am on summer vacation between my Junior and Senior years in High School.

: In Virginia, anyone 18 or older can become a Notory Public by simply filling out an application and paying the fee, and then it's pretty much open enrollment from there.

And the thing about Virginia is if you get pulled over for speeding or something, if you are under 18 the courts require "parental notification."

But it is not the cop that notifies the parents. He just gives you the ticket and sends you on your way.

On the ticket it says that if you are under 18, you cant prepay the fine and avoid coming to court, you have to show up in court with a parent or legal guardian so they know the parents are aware of the ticket.

BUT there is an exception where you can still prepay the fine as a minor without going to the court with a parent: And that is if your parent also signs the ticket, AND it is signed by a notary public saying that IDs were checked and they witnessesed your parents signing the ticket. THEN Virginia traffic courts are satisfied that your parents were informed and accept your mail-in payment.

So what if I became a notary public over the summer? Then get a little business going in September: Anyone under 18 who got a speeding ticket who doesnt want their parents to know can forge their parents signature, come to me with the ticket, and I'll notorize it as if I checked the Parent's IDs and witnessed them signing it.

Then the ticket is taken care of in the eyes of the court, parents don't find out, I charge $100 to do it, and everyone's satisfied.

Could that work?

I'm on my phone and tired from LeadsCon, but you're talking about risking PRISON and huge fines to prevent teenagers from having there parents find out about something they'll probably find out about anyway all for $100? Move on to the next idea. No reason to forge anything or risk your future. Plenty of legitimate ways to earn a buck.

Don't listen to the naysayer. Majority rules! I say go for it! If you need start up money you should take your idea to Shark Tank. If they don't bite, at least you will get some free advertising...:yes:

There are notaries that will notarized anything if the price is right.

Excerpt from page 15 of the Handbook for Virginia Notaries Public:

"Notaries who intentionally use their powers to perpetrate a fraud or to embezzle or steal from another may be found guilty of a felony.

"A notary who knowingly makes a false oath or certificate may be guilty of perjury."

Excerpt from Virginia Law:

§ 18.2-434. What deemed perjury; punishment and penalty.

If any person to whom an oath is lawfully administered on any occasion willfully swears falsely on such occasion touching any material matter or thing, or if a person falsely make oath that any other person is 18 years of age or older in order to obtain a marriage license for such other person, or if any person in any written declaration, certificate, verification, or statement under penalty of perjury pursuant to § 8.01-4.3 willfully subscribes as true any material matter which he does not believe is true, he is guilty of perjury, punishable as a Class 5 felony. Upon the conviction of any person for perjury, such person thereby shall be adjudged forever incapable of holding any office of honor, profit or trust under the Constitution of Virginia, or of serving as a juror.

Excerpt from page 15 of the Handbook for Virginia Notaries Public:

"Notaries who intentionally use their powers to perpetrate a fraud or to embezzle or steal from another may be found guilty of a felony.

"A notary who knowingly makes a false oath or certificate may be guilty of perjury."

Excerpt from Virginia Law:

§ 18.2-434. What deemed perjury; punishment and penalty.

If any person to whom an oath is lawfully administered on any occasion willfully swears falsely on such occasion touching any material matter or thing, or if a person falsely make oath that any other person is 18 years of age or older in order to obtain a marriage license for such other person, or if any person in any written declaration, certificate, verification, or statement under penalty of perjury pursuant to § 8.01-4.3 willfully subscribes as true any material matter which he does not believe is true, he is guilty of perjury, punishable as a Class 5 felony. Upon the conviction of any person for perjury, such person thereby shall be adjudged forever incapable of holding any office of honor, profit or trust under the Constitution of Virginia, or of serving as a juror.

You just took all the fun out of it.

Back