How Long Does EGHP Have to Be in Place to Get an SEP?

WCMason

Guru
1000 Post Club
Got a call today from a 69 year old guy. Took Part A only at 65 due to EGHP. That coverage converted to COBRA 18 months ago. He kept it rather than dropping it for Part B. Now that is ending and he can't get an SEP because it's beyond the 8 month period to get Medicare Part B added.

His former employer may rehire him for a short time, with EGHP. His question to me is regarding how long he has to have the new EGHP in place to qualify for an SEP so he does not have to wait until next year's GEP. I think it can be as little as a month or two, but thought I'd post here for input.

I did explain to him that he will get an LEP on Parts B and D for the gap. He's not concerned about that, just how to get Medicare sooner than July 2015.

Thanks.

Got a call today from a 69 year old guy. Took Part A only at 65 due to EGHP. That coverage converted to COBRA 18 months ago. He kept it rather than dropping it for Part B. Now that is ending and he can't get an SEP because it's beyond the 8 month period to get Medicare Part B added.

His former employer may rehire him for a short time, with EGHP. His question to me is regarding how long he has to have the new EGHP in place to qualify for an SEP so he does not have to wait until next year's GEP. I think it can be as little as a month or two, but thought I'd post here for input.

I did explain to him that he will get an LEP on Parts B and D for the gap. He's not concerned about that, just how to get Medicare sooner than July 2015.

Thanks.

I think that you're right. When the processor looks at the Marx screen, it would only show Medicare eff dates with NO other coverage most likely. The SEP would be Loss of Employer Group Coverage. Once approved by CMS, the mb would have to submit the confirmation of cancellation of creditable coverage to Maximus for a legit SEP.

Back