How long does it take to get started??

FutureForbes

Expert
Was curious how long it takes to start selling insurance. I am not talking about to the point you start getting cash flowing in your business, I know that can take time depending on your Lead Program.

I am talking about on the independent side, from you time you sign with an IMO- then how long does it take to get approved by carriers- and to the point you can finally buy your first batch of leads.

Say someone was looking to start after the holidays early January, to start at that point when would they have to sign with an IMO??

Thanks.

Was curious how long it takes to start selling insurance. I am not talking about to the point you start getting cash flowing in your business, I know that can take time depending on your Lead Program.

I am talking about on the independent side, from you time you sign with an IMO- then how long does it take to get approved by carriers- and to the point you can finally buy your first batch of leads.

Say someone was looking to start after the holidays early January, to start at that point when would they have to sign with an IMO??

Thanks.

It depends on how many and which carriers. Most IMOs send your contracts over right away and then the carriers, depending on the state will either appoint you and then issue a writing number or issue a writing number which you'll turn in your first business with and then they'll make a decision on your appointment afterwards.

Unless you have something crazy on your background or credit, most carriers should get your numbers to you within a week or 2. Some are faster. Some take a few weeks.

Any type of criminal background and some credit problems may delay this a bit.

Either way, you should be ready to rock and roll after Christmas. Good luck!

Thanks.

The carriers appoint you in the range of 3 to 4 four days for the quickest ones to around 14 days for the slowest ones. The fastest ones don’t do background checks until you make your 1st sale. So if you have background issues that could be a problem I would not flood them with apps until they have approved your background check.

Direct mail leads take 3 to 4 weeks after you sign up. But you can run telemarketer leads, Facebook leads, or often (if available) existing direct mail leads in another area.

Agents usually cash flow pretty quickly if they are going to make it. I’ve not seen many cases of an agent that struggles for 6- months to get sales flowing but then comes out of it and does great. It’s usually a fairly rapid start up.

The carriers appoint you in the range of 3 to 4 four days for the quickest ones to around 14 days for the slowest ones. The fastest ones don’t do background checks until you make your 1st sale. So if you have background issues that could be a problem I would not flood them with apps until they have approved your background check.

Direct mail leads take 3 to 4 weeks after you sign up. But you can run telemarketer leads, Facebook leads, or often (if available) existing direct mail leads in another area.

Agents usually cash flow pretty quickly if they are going to make it. I’ve not seen many cases of an agent that struggles for 6- months to get sales flowing but then comes out of it and does great. It’s usually a fairly rapid start up.

Thanks, I guess my next question would be, and I am sure it depends on the carrier how picky are they about background and credit checks.

Thanks, I guess my next question would be, and I am sure it depends on the carrier how picky are they about background and credit checks.

Yes it varies by carrier AND by the IMO. Some IMOs will take anyone and everyone and sign off to get you appointed with most carriers. If you have issues that are recent or still ongoing you need to have that discussion right upfront with the IMOs you are considering.

If your issues were Several years ago and your recent personal finances are back on track, you won’t likely have any problem anywhere.

Some carriers are worse than others. From what I understand, Americo, Aetna, and Foresters tend to be a little stricter. Most of the others will accept backgrounds as long as your IMO is backing you and you don't have anything open.

Some carriers are worse than others. From what I understand, Americo, Aetna, and Foresters tend to be a little stricter. Most of the others will accept backgrounds as long as your IMO is backing you and you don't have anything open.

KSKJ is one of the strictest ones also.

Ok so the IMO kinda has final say in whether or not you get approved.

Last question on your credit report what exactly are they checking. Is for vectors from another carrier, or if you missed a credit card payment.

Back