How long should a new agent stay in an IMO that they think might be failing them

How long should an agent be given to succeed. Before he/she should look into maybe different IMO that Might give them a whole new set of training that may fit them better?

If the IMO is failing the agent, then the agent probably should move on as quickly as possible.

If the agent is not happy with his current IMO for any reasonable reason, then he or she should move on quickly, as no one thrives to their best level of growth unless one is very well pleased with those with whom he or she is working.

However, in the case of the failing or flailing agent, first one would have to determine if the IMO is failing the agent, or is the agent failing him- or herself. I think it is far more likely that agents fail out of the business because they fail themselves than because they joined the "wrong" IMO, i.e. refused to invest in leads, are not teachable/coachable, or lack the self discipline and work ethic required to overcome the temptations of the self-employed, "flexible schedule" status of being an agent.

Now, for the agent who is succeeding, but who has plateaued, is not thriving, growing, and improving beyond some initial level of making a living selling insurance, then for such an agent, a change in IMO's may very well be the necessary to hit the proverbial "next level." In those cases the agent must choose the next IMO wisely.

Last edited:
I am not an agent, so forgive me if this is a dumb question.

In a situation like that, is it possible to expand the circle of business relationships by adding an imo, rather than just doing the abandon and replace thing?

You asking for a friend?

And to answer the question, it varies quite a bit. If they aren't producing in the first few weeks you really gotta figure what is going wrong in homes. Are they even using the process you have them?
Hahaha, I like your signature. That's cute, but Biggin quoted both of us at the same time when he said that. How do you know he wasn't calling me the cutest poster on the Forum? :huh:

I am not an agent, so forgive me if this is a dumb question.

In a situation like that, is it possible to expand the circle of business relationships by adding an imo, rather than just doing the abandon and replace thing?
Yes, as a matter of fact, I've never believed in putting all your eggs in one basket. If you're truly independent, you can use as many IMO's as you want. :yes:

How long should an agent be given to succeed. Before he/she should look into maybe different IMO that Might give them a whole new set of training that may fit them better?
Sounds like yu are asking two different questions:
1) How long should n agent give an IMO who is not performing up to expectations? (thread title)

2) How long should an agent be given to succeed? (thread body)

Yes, as a matter of fact, I've never believed in putting all your eggs in one basket. If you're truly independent, you can use as many IMO's as you want. :yes:

Ok, thanks. I asked because back when I was thinking about that process more carefully I was starting to wonder if I could develop a reasonable plan to split carrier contracts that I might need between two different imo's I was interested in for different reasons.

(And this comment will probably get me in trouble, but I am going to make it anyway. I don't have any money for travel, so I never saw how I could do it, but I also was beginning to think that a really great Medigap training program would be to do some "ride alongs" with you, somarco and kgmom.)

Ok, thanks. I asked because back when I was thinking about that process more carefully I was starting to wonder if I could develop a reasonable plan to split carrier contracts that I might need between two different imo's I was interested in for different reasons.

(And this comment will probably get me in trouble, but I am going to make it anyway. I don't have any money for travel, so I never saw how I could do it, but I also was beginning to think that a really great Medigap training program would be to do some "ride alongs" with you, somarco and kgmom.)
Hahaha, I haven't done a ride a long in 20 years. To do that you'd have to go to Illinos, Georgia and Texas. I'm sure you'd enjoy kgmom's ride a long the best, I heard that she's a hottie. :yes:

Back