How many life/health pros here have relationships with RIAs?

TomZack

Super Genius
or at least cooperative relationships with Series 6 or 7 people for when you run into situations that would require someone like that?

This is kind of a follow up to my other post.

I was in a situation where my previous office had people so licensed that I could bring in when I wanted to and I felt it was in the client's best interest to do so.

If you go completely independent, is it a good idea to find someone so licensed, you can trust, to work with? Or can that come back to bite you in the butt? Do people end up losing clients to them assuming they work with a different entity/group?

Note: I am considering going for my Series 6 or 7, but not right at the moment.

My guess is that most ins agents likely don't have a referral partner that is securities licensed. I'm sure some do.

And btw... RIA = series 65. Series 6 or 7 requires a B/D.

If you are going completely independent why not just get licensed? I would never refer a client to a RIA because I am almost certain he will become their main advisor and you will become secondary.

Last edited:
Thanks to both for your responses and information.

Sounds like my concerns are valid.

Yes, at this point going fully independent though with some reluctance. I've only been in the business for a few years and part time at that. I am a believer in doing/getting the best for my clients and it would be nice to be working with a group who has the experience, knowledge and leg work to know which products and companies are best for different situations i.e. Health plans for small businesses, DI, supplemental benefit programs, etc.

Hence my research into IMOs as well. Which ones have better prospecting, sales initiatives (seminars, digital marketing tools, etc.) to support my efforts is so hard to know.

I am trying to minimize my own trial and errors as I go forth.
Thank you both again.
T

Back