How Many Times Do You Meet with Commercial Prospects Prior to Giving Quote?

mr_furly

Expert
FL
Im brand new to insurance.

Had a meeting with the owners of a bakery today.
We talked for about 15 minutes about their business, and I told them ill email them to make sure I get a copy of their policy.

I forgot to ask about their yearly revenue...and I probably should have taken a few pictures of their business.

Would it be abnormal if I called/emailed them to request for another quick visit?

We talked for about 15 minutes about their business, and I told them ill email them to make sure I get a copy of their policy.

I forgot to ask about their yearly revenue...and I probably should have taken a few pictures of their business.

Would it be abnormal if I called/emailed them to request for another quick visit?

Many carriers will be along to conduct a field review or inspection, you don't need pictures although I do like to take them but mostly for my portfolio of clients. I would simply make a phone call and tell them you are completing the application for them and you need an approx of revenue or sales before taxes.

Good to hear you are jumping in, I have written a couple commercial accounts so far, you do need to be careful. make sure you find out the details on any co-insurance before you quote.

Just chat with them over the phone. You can get your answers in a quicker manner thus saving both you and the bakery owner's time. Redundant visits is never a good look.

I look for the businesses I want to sell to. I prepare a moch quote based on an quote I would normally do with my companies. I have a mach quote for every industry and I place their name in the mach quote. I buy really nice portfolios from Staples and put it together with my business card. I walk into each business and give the owner the mach quote. I tell them this is just an example, but I would love to set up an appointment to meet with you. Give them a box of donuts or fruit basket and tell them you offer evening appointments or you would love to take them to lunch to show them what you can do for them. In the portfolio, it will have the quote example, a business insurance company insert, your cover letter on why choose you over what he already has, your biz card.
You will get more business than you know what to do with.

I look for the businesses I want to sell to. I prepare a moch quote based on an quote I would normally do with my companies. I have a mach quote for every industry and I place their name in the mach quote. I buy really nice portfolios from Staples and put it together with my business card. I walk into each business and give the owner the mach quote. I tell them this is just an example, but I would love to set up an appointment to meet with you. Give them a box of donuts or fruit basket and tell them you offer evening appointments or you would love to take them to lunch to show them what you can do for them. In the portfolio, it will have the quote example, a business insurance company insert, your cover letter on why choose you over what he already has, your biz card.
You will get more business than you know what to do with.

What's a match quote?

Are you talking about P&C insurance?

I was a P&C agent for many years.

If you don't walk out with a copy of their policy on the first visit, you've more than likely lost the prospect. Getting the policy is your first "close." Miss the first "close" and you generally don't get a second shot at it.

You life and health agents know what I'm talking about.;)

I don't know exactly how many times the controllers met with ins agents but it was definitely more than once because the last 3 companies I worked for all did competitive quoting of their p&c insurance.

Are you talking about P&C insurance?

I was a P&C agent for many years.

If you don't walk out with a copy of their policy on the first visit, you've more than likely lost the prospect. Getting the policy is your first "close." Miss the first "close" and you generally don't get a second shot at it.

You life and health agents know what I'm talking about.;)

Please enlighten the rest of us who are learning. How can I have their policy if I have never been in their store/business?

If anyone else knows that answer please chime in.

Please enlighten the rest of us who are learning. How can I have their policy if I have never been in their store/business?

How are you doing anything with the prospect if you've never been in their store/business?

Your first personal visit with the owner, at the business, face to face, is when you should be asking for a copy of the policy. If the owner gives you a copy it means he's willing to consider doing business with you.

That's also the time to get the basic business information that a commercial insurance application will require, assuming you actually know what information a commercial insurance application requires.

You wrote that you've written "a couple of commercial accounts." How'd you manage that?

Back