How Much Notice to Give As a 1099 Agent??

smitty21

Iowa
I am going to resign my current position and peruse another career path. I feel I have not been treated fairly in my current position as a commission only agent that is expected to service an existing book of business, although I only get paid for adding business.
My question is how much notice do I need to give with my resignation if any. As I said, I am commission only and don't expect to get paid my next check. If I work any more I will be working for free. What would you expect as my boss to be acceptable?

Since you're choosing another career, just put your resignation in writing and turn everything in. No further explanation or "2 weeks notice" is necessary.

I thought so much. I was just reading through the contract I signed when starting and it says I should give 30 days. What if I dont?

The reality is, if you give the notice they will normally just let you go immediately as you are not going to be very productive for sales. You look good by giving notice but still will usually get to leave immediately.

The reality is, if you give the notice they will normally just let you go immediately as you are not going to be very productive for sales. You look good by giving notice but still will usually get to leave immediately.

I would agree with you as that has been the case for me in the past. This time is different. When I signed up a year and a half ago Here were 2 CSR's in the office. They were supposed to take care of the current book and I was to take care of building and servicing mine. They they fired each of them over time and it is just me here in the office. I am afraid they would want me to stay, with no pay, because they have no one else here. What is the worse that could happen if I just pack up and leave? I don't get to use them as a reference? Can they sue me?

I would agree with you as that has been the case for me in the past. This time is different. When I signed up a year and a half ago Here were 2 CSR's in the office. They were supposed to take care of the current book and I was to take care of building and servicing mine. They they fired each of them over time and it is just me here in the office. I am afraid they would want me to stay, with no pay, because they have no one else here. What is the worse that could happen if I just pack up and leave? I don't get to use them as a reference? Can they sue me?

They cannot sue you for refusing to work for free.

You have a traditional job mentality.

You need to change this.

You need to fire your boss for making you work on their business... without compensation.

Of course your boss won't like you to leave. He has free labor!

You're not happy or being paid. It's time to go.

Are you responsible for any of the overhead? You have a desk an office to work from that they don't charge you for, yes? Chances are they will replace you if you're not producing anyway. If it's not working out, it's not working out. No need to make anybody into the bad guys, just say thanks and give them your keys.

Are you responsible for any of the overhead? You have a desk an office to work from that they don't charge you for, yes? Chances are they will replace you if you're not producing anyway. If it's not working out, it's not working out. No need to make anybody into the bad guys, just say thanks and give them your keys.

I pay $200 a month for my "rent" and access to the order management system, access that I no longer have.

I just want to do things as right as possible. I feel bad about leaving them high and dry but they caused it. I was thinking they couldn't do anything other than talk bad about me but I didn't know. I am glad everyone here is thinking along the same lines as me. I didn't know where else to ask as I have never been an independent contractor before.

----------

You have a traditional job mentality.

You need to change this.

You need to fire your boss for making you work on their business... without compensation.

Of course your boss won't like you to leave. He has free labor!

You're not happy or being paid. It's time to go.

I agree completely, that's why I'm out of here! Unfortunately with my no-compete it is easier to change industries than work around it. Thanks for the reassurance!

Back