How Much TOTAL Did You Spend Getting Your License?

entrep1776

Guru
100+ Post Club
I'm in IL.

Costs I've found:
$180 2 year license State of Illinois
$102 Test for 2 lines L&H plus not sure 2nd line I want

unsure cost two 7.5 hour prelicensing classes.
What Study material costs? (cheaper via Ebay? Barnes Noble? Library?)

How much did you spend? any way to do it less expensive? Thanks

I'm in IL.

Costs I've found:
$180 2 year license State of Illinois
$102 Test for 2 lines L&H plus not sure 2nd line I want

unsure cost two 7.5 hour prelicensing classes.
What Study material costs? (cheaper via Ebay? Barnes Noble? Library?)

How much did you spend? any way to do it less expensive? Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
IL is expensive, and because of that many nonres states will reciprocate that cost if you choose to get licensed there as a nonres producer.

In MO, its $40 to take your test, and $100 to get appointed with the state. Self study. Ive used ADBankers in the past.

For you, unless you move, there is no way to get around these costs.

IL is only about $100 more expensive than most other states. 4 year college averages $40k per year.... a few hundred dollars is a small price to pay for an actual career.

If you cant afford the licensing costs, this is not a good time in your life to pursue a career in insurance. That cost is nothing compared to the savings you need in the bank to survive the first 6 months of business.

IL is only about $100 more expensive than most other states. 4 year college averages $40k per year.... a few hundred dollars is a small price to pay for an actual career.

If you cant afford the licensing costs, this is not a good time in your life to pursue a career in insurance. That cost is nothing compared to the savings you need in the bank to survive the first 6 months of business.

I can afford it & have about 30 months of living expenses if all my current streams of income would stop. I am very frugal. I didn't financially where I am by spending money that I wasn't very sure I'd get it back.

What other expenses /monthly expenses should I expect besides upfront licensing? thanks

AHIP $125.00
SC License $31.18
Pearson Vue $63.00 License Exam
Ga License $115.00
Fingerprint $48.25
Exam FX $50.00

Back