How often Should I Create Content for My Website?

Travis Price

Guru
1000 Post Club
I wanted to share a blog article about posting totals, frequency, and the effects on traffic.

How Often Should Companies Blog? [New Benchmark Data]

Key takeaways:

Blogging 2-3x per week, consistently, drives more traffic than blogging 1x per week.
Having a total blog count of 401+ posts gives you 4.5x as many leads as having 0-200 articles.

Personally, I blog 1x a week. That's why I can reasonably handle to produce quality content. I'm also a little lazy and prep all of my writing on Sunday, then sit down and write on Saturday.. because I'm thinking throughout the week about key points I want to touch on. I also work a really mentally intense job and when I get home I just want to eat and veg out.

My goal is 401 posts, but that will take some time because I want to refresh posts where things have changed. After 401, it's all maintenance work for me. I may write if something super compelling happens, but hopefully by then I'll have the 160 policies I need to retire.

Just some food for thought.

Blogging is a great tactic, but the HubSpot article strikes me as mistaking correlation with causation. It's probably safe to assume that companies that blog 2-3x a week are also generally paying more attention to their website and are doing more to actively promote it. And this is likely what leads to the increase in traffic.

I think if you're going to do the hard work of adding blog posts to your site, you'll see the best benefit by focusing on creating really quality content and then promoting before worrying about quantity.

There's actually a movement to reduce the # of "dead weight" pages on a site (that aren't bringing in any traffic) through content pruning and focus effort on the most relevant quality content. Here's a guide to finding and pruning those pages:

https://www.semrush.com/blog/guide-seo-pruning-semrush/

All the best,

Aaron

I would argue a few things:

The article actually states that relevant, valuable content is much more preferable to content as you describe. Quality is always more important than quantity.

What the post is saying is that if you produce MORE high quality content, you will have more leads.

Also, about pruning:

The concept about pruning should be to improve the quality of the content of pages that are not producing. Sometimes that means merging multiple posts from 2 okay posts, to 1 great post. Sometimes that means updating a post with additional information.

For example, I write a post about X being the best healthcare plan. It hasn't gotten a lot of traffic in a year. Going back to that post and finding "easy win keywords" to incorporate will start driving traffic to an under performing page.

I would argue a few things:
For example, I write a post about X being the best healthcare plan. It hasn't gotten a lot of traffic in a year. Going back to that post and finding "easy win keywords" to incorporate will start driving traffic to an under performing page.

Definitely. You can also do the opposite and merge low performing pages into a longer and higher quality page.

Either way, a little keyword research will go a long way in making sure your work pays off.

There’s no hard and fast rule for how often you should publish new content. However, in general, your rate of publication should grow as your site does (although some websites buck that trend). That way, you’ll be able to keep your sizable audience entertained.

There’s no hard and fast rule for how often you should publish new content. However, in general, your rate of publication should grow as your site does (although some websites buck that trend). That way, you’ll be able to keep your sizable audience entertained.

That's not accurate. New publications should slow down as your content amount grows. Instead, you should edit previous content for improved traffic and laddering high ranking content w/ more challenging keywords to rank for.

I'm not trying to keep my audience entertained. If I have 450 hits a month and 45 convert to leads, then those 45 can stop reading if they want. They're leads now, and more important to me as a sales person.

Insurance Agents don't care about traffic for traffics sake. Traffic is about converting to leads. We blog/create content/revise content to get fresh eyes on our page in an effort to convert.

I think that’s great! You have content that’s sustaining your practice. I think that’s everyones goal.

Some people aren’t as far along as you are, but it’s great to know that it does work over time.

Where do you publish these blogs? Are they just added as a page on your existing website or do you have a certain social venue that you publish blogs on that can generate the most eyes?

Where do you publish these blogs? Are they just added as a page on your existing website or do you have a certain social venue that you publish blogs on that can generate the most eyes?

You should own your content, but part of a blogging strategy can include guest posting for backlinks and traffic, but you should be strategic about who you guest blog with.

My blog is dedicated within my website. Wordpress sites almost all start with a blog page.

Here’s my site as an example:
Find the Best Medicare Plans in Michigan - Travis Price.

There’s some adjustments I’m making with video and adding a customer facing quote creater (hopefully that will add today)

Back