How Reliable is RingCentral's Call Quality ???

Agent4Life

Expert
USA
How reliable is RingCentral's "call quality" ? I am considering switching to RingCentral for my agency's business communications (both phone and fax). Right now I have two separate companies providing those services for me. My current phone service provider uses traditional fiber optic hardwired phone lines that of course provide very good audio quality and reliablity, as well as resistance to service interruptions. Switching over to RingCentral would probably save me about $40-$50 a month and allow me to consolidate everything to one company and one bill, BUT a colleage of mine told me I should think twice about going to RingCentral b/c the whole backbone of their phone network is internet based, and that VOIP is still a very unstable, unreliable, failure prone technology.
So from those of you who actually use this type of technology as the main phone and fax communications vehicle for your business - please share your experience with this type of technology - and this company in particular. Are your phone calls choppy and dropped often in the middle of sales calls ? Do faxes get lost in never-never land often ? Are my concerns valid ?

Thanks ahead of time for sharing !

Last edited:
Ask Newby. He has used Ringcentral for several years. However, I will say that I have never experienced a call quality issue in speaking with him.

Last edited:
I use it at my offices in KY , Indiana and at my home.

The home line sounds as good as my old hardwired one ever did. No problems what so ever. Cable Internet is the residential version.

The Indiana office is a stand alone office building with it's own cable. We have to pay for the more expensive business version of cable here. Sound quality has always been a slight step backwards from the home line but not bad at all. Slight digitizing on occasion.

My Kentucky office is in a 5 story multi office building with one cable line going in the building and splitting off for each business. Our phone here is much lower quality but still better than a cell phone. We only use this office when we have appointments there and don't make a lot of calls from it so the low cost is worth it.

We pay $100 monthly total for 4 lines with unlimited local and LD. This includes both offices and home lines as well as 4 local numbers in both states 2 toll free numbers, Internet fax, all phone features, free international call using my iPhone and Internet (when I am out of the country) and ties ALL of our phone systems together.

Well worth it in my opinion.

The truth is, the 'traditional phone company using fiber optic' is using voip. In fact, its hard, actually almost impossible, to get or make a call that at least a significant portion of the call isn't over voip.

VOIP itself is actually cleaner, clearer, more robust than traditional copper lines, regardless of what the perception is.

The problem is in the transport. If you have poor internet service, you will have lower quality calls. If the service provider overloads their servers, it will make for poor quality calls. If you use the wrong audio codecs, you will get poor quality calls.

Ringcentral provides excellent call quality, but its up to your internet provider to make sure you have enough bandwidth to make it work, similar to how your local phone company might have good quality calls, but on old copper lines in the house, they become full of static.

If you have a solid internet connection and are working on a wired phone, you probably won't have much problem. If you work on wireless, you might have some problems on random occasions.

Dan

My home phones are all wireless and they work perfectly. The businesses we use both wired and wireless and I don't think that affects it at all.

I don't think wireless affects VOIP any more than it affects a regular phone service unless I am misunderstanding something.

I have used Ringcentral for many years. I have a 10mbps service with 8 down and 2 up. Once it hits the router I currently use a wireless setup to the computer and call quality has been fantastic.

I only have 2 things to say about Ringcentral:

1. I have lost power 2 times while on a phone call. Had I been on a traditional business phone system I would have also lost the call so this is really a non issue.
2. I have the unlimited calling from Ringcentral and have noticed that whenever I have a really long call the call gets dropped right at the 2 hour mark. Just something to be aware of. Its actually helped me as most of those calls are with a guy that runs another Insurance forum and is very knowledgable but he can sometimes tell you how to build the machine to build toothpicks when all I want is to know the name of a cheap toothpick to purchase.

I looked into there website they seem really good as a cloud system. I have AT&T now 4 lines and a dedicated fax I pay $400 a month. It would be nice to switch and just pay $100 for three line. They have a lot of nice options I will roll with them next year.
I guess if most guys like them they have to be good.

If you have reliable internet, go for it. Call quality is great. I've used RC for years and I'm on the phone pretty much all day.

Like Newby - I have an 800 #, fax and 4 lines with unlimited long distance for $120/mo. I use it at my home, office and on my laptop. For that alone, it's worth it to me.

Newby - I have the same plan as you and you're paying $20 less! My account manager has some splainin to do.

was wondering if you guys who are using ring central bough the phone from them. I have seen a very nice selection on phone on there site. They also have those HD phones not sure if they are worth the extra money. I would like to get the hands free headset with it..

Back