How to Become an Independent Agent

Jball010

I'm thinking of becoming an independent agent, I have done some research but I still don't fully understand where I have to go? or what company I have to go to become register as an Independent Agent? who gives me a list of other companies products I can offer?, who would do the underwriting work? I hold a series 7 license and an life, health and variable annuity license. I have about 2 years of work experience with financial services. My idea was always to go independent, so if anyone can help me here and answer my questions on how to get started. I'll greatly appreciate it.

Just contact any IMO and they will walk you through it and help you get started.

If I can help you, just contact me also.

Look through this forums and you will find some companies and IMO that you can work with.

Check out the video (Quick start guide for new agents) in my signature - a lot of it will be too basic for you since you already have a few concepts under your belt, but it will walk you through initial contracting, finding an IMO, all that good stuff.

Thanks, I'll look into it, also do this IMOs activate your licenses?

There is no need in doing this. Your Lic is already activate.

You are worrying about nothing.

Just pick an imo or company and everything will be taken care of for you.

When you sign up with an insurance company they will send the info to the state along with the state appt fee and tell the state what you are doing... Very easy and don't worry about it.

Check out the video (Quick start guide for new agents) in my signature - a lot of it will be too basic for you since you already have a few concepts under your belt, but it will walk you through initial contracting, finding an IMO, all that good stuff.

Nick, were you doing the dishes while you were recording this?:D

Thanks, I was concern about my series 7, since I often sell variable products for life insurance and you need to work under a company to keep your license active.

I'm about to move my 6. you can pm me if you wish and I will let you know about where. Depending on the state (or states) you sell in the straight insurance side is pretty basic, no problems being independent in most cases. I understand your issue about the 7, It's alot harder.

I'm taking a leap of faith in that matter. where I've been for the last decade is not where I want to continue to be. Feel far to much like an employee.

Back