How to Calculate Liability for Accelerated Wear and Tear?

Sharp_Cleaner_D

I was hired to perform a car detailing service for one of my clients on his property. I detailer his car on his concrete driveway. After the job was done the client noticed brown stains on his driveway from where his car was standing as I detailed. After extensive research and the word of a ten year experienced car detailer, I concluded that the stains were caused by dirt and grim from the customer's wheels.

I went back twice and tried to powerwash, soap and do anything I could to clean the driveway. And now the driveway is faded from it's original condition.
The customer thinks I irreparably damaged it because he had his driveway done 3 weeks before-hand. The driveway can hardly be called dirty anymore, it just looks like it would look 6 or 7 months from now.

The customer wants me to pay to have it redone, for which I would have to go to my insurance company for. However, I would like to handle the issue in house before I go to them.

How do I calculate the accelerated wear and tear of this driveway so that I can directly pay the customer for it?

Attachments

• 2016-09-17 10.40.58.jpg
    2016-09-17 10.40.58.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 2016-09-17 10.40.03.jpg
    2016-09-17 10.40.03.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 2016-09-17 10.41.03.jpg
    2016-09-17 10.41.03.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 7
He had it done 3 weeks ago?? And you advanced it's aging by a few months?? Personally, I'd tell him to pound sand. He hired you and put you in his brand new driveway, to clean his nasty car, no? How much did he pay you?? Maybe he needs to call his concrete contractor and make a complaint ;) They'll tell him to pound sand too.

If you feel truly obligated to do something....research Muriatic Acid, take the proper precautions and do the best you can to clean the stains. Or offer to refund his money.

Yeah - I'd not put any more effort into this one, but learn the lesson for next time.

Last edited:
Back