How to Choose a Medigap Policy

janmattsson

I've heard a lot and read a lot on this but the more I try to understand the more confused I become.
Is there anyone on this forum to make me opt for a suitable policy??:1confused:

Re: How to Choose a Madigap Policy

Suitable = best price in your area, deep financial pockets so that rates don't go up as quickly, a plan that represents your comfort level as far as out of pocket expenses.

IMO any of the plans C to G are just as good as each other. There is very little coverage differences between those plans. Plan N adds the copay consideration.

I only sell abount 1% of my clients a plan F. Most plan G only because it is cheaper than a D by me. I have not sold many plan N's because it is not cheap enough for the people I see. They go to the doctor more than 6 times a year it is a toss up it seems here by me.

I have been looking for a place on line where it tells me what medicare pays doctors for visits and I have not seen anything. If anyone knows of a place I would like to see it.

Just my two cents.

I only sell abount 1% of my clients a plan F. Most plan G only because it is cheaper than a D by me. I have not sold many plan N's because it is not cheap enough for the people I see. They go to the doctor more than 6 times a year it is a toss up it seems here by me.

I have been looking for a place on line where it tells me what medicare pays doctors for visits and I have not seen anything. If anyone knows of a place I would like to see it.

Just my two cents.

Check you local hospitals website. we have a hospital that shows all of its services, then how much it is for self pay, medicare, medicaid and private insurance.

Just my two cents.

Have you tried calling a doctor's office and explaining why you are interested and asking them? Maybe even your doctor's office?

I am in IL. I called the hospital and doctors. Even my own and they would not give it. I live nw of chicago.

Yes it is in the EOB. I have recieved a couple from clients. I am not over 65. I want one to look at. I know there is a site for DME but have not seen one for doctor charges (payments).

I've heard a lot and read a lot on this but the more I try to understand the more confused I become.
Is there anyone on this forum to make me opt for a suitable policy??:1confused:

3 situations that may help you decide:

1. PLan F - if you can afford to spend a little more per month for your Medicare supplement AND, you want to go to the doctor or hospital without having to pay any medical bills after your visit, this is the plan for you. It will pay what Medicare doesn't pay..

2.Plan G- almost exactly the same as plan F, except it doesn't cover your $155 Medicare part B deductible. If you can save more on your annual premiums than the $155, this is a good way for you to go

3. Plan N- the cheapest option, compared to the ones mentioned above, but you have to pay a co-pay of UP TO $20 per visit. It is 20% of the charges maxed-out at $20(could be $10), and you have to pay your annual $155 part B deductible as well.

You will need to check with an agent in Illinois to see what is the best route for you; you decide, not the agent.

In Virginia, I sell 95% plan F because the price difference between the plans are minimal at best, and my clients like the idea of having treatment and not having to worry about bills coming in all of the time.

I hope this helps....

I did some checking with one of my companies using a Chicago ZIP. 65/male/non-tobacco

Plan F- 193.87 Plan G- 164.79 Plan N- 144.20

You need to decide what YOU are comfortable with. Of course these rates vary by Zip Code, so they are only examples.

Last edited:
Back