How to Go About Asking for Job?

AZ123

Hello all,

I've worked for a captive company as an agent for 4 years now. I'm interested in moving back home which is a couple hundred miles from where I'm working currently. There is an Independant agency there that peaks my interest and that I may be interested in working with/for.

Here's my question: as business owners, how would you want to be approached if someone were to inquire about working with you? I was thinking of sending an email first to gauge if they are open to the idea of bringing someone on then schedule a time to meet. I'm licensed and have a nice size BOB currently (which I won't be able to bring). Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!!!

Best thing would be to pop in, and introduce yourself, they will be impressed with your go getter attitude.

Best thing would be to pop in, and introduce yourself, they will be impressed with your go getter attitude.

Either that or pick up the phone and call. The email may get sent to a spam file. Then you would never know the interest or lack there of. In finding a job a phone call or door knock is the most effective method just like with insurance sales.

Casually, just send an e-mail introducing yourself with a resume attached or try reaching out to the person in the hiring role and give a few minute introduction.

Call or personal walk in, or trying to meet the owner at a networking event or find out someone who knows the agency owner and have them introduce you. Email can come out as cold, or it could also work out. Personal introduction would work about 110% of the time

Some business owners find unannounced visits to be disruptive and annoying. I've discovered this while selling commercial lines. Give them a call and see if you can schedule a time to sit down with whomever is in charge of hiring. Good luck!

Some business owners find unannounced visits to be disruptive and annoying. I've discovered this while selling commercial lines. Give them a call and see if you can schedule a time to sit down with whomever is in charge of hiring. Good luck!

Most business owners are never annoyed if a highly qualified potential employee happens to walk in the door. Those people are hard to find and I have always been very pleased when it has occurred.

Vendors are often treated differently than potential employees.

Our industry in particular looks for, trains, and rewards the "go getter". Walk in and ask to talk to the agency owner. If they don't have time right then, ask for 30 seconds to shake hands and schedule another time to get together.

Be sure to bring your resume and list your production history. Numbers will certainly get far more attention than a resume that says "loves working with people".

Thank you everyone. I appreciate all the good ideas! Dropping in seems to definitely be preferable. My only concern is I would have to take off work in order to do it...and that's not guaranteeing that the decision maker will be there if I come into town. I added the agency owner on LinkedIn. Would sending him a note on LinkedIn be bad form?

Thank you everyone. I appreciate all the good ideas! Dropping in seems to definitely be preferable. My only concern is I would have to take off work in order to do it...and that's not guaranteeing that the decision maker will be there if I come into town. I added the agency owner on LinkedIn. Would sending him a note on LinkedIn be bad form?

If a walk in requires taking a day off from work I would pick up the phone and call him. Do you experience call reluctance? The reason I say that first mention email and now LinkedIn.

Back