How to Handle this Parking Lot Incident

princesspeanut

We were backing out of a parking spot, apparently at the same time the car behind us did the same thing.
We both have damage on the very corners of our bumpers.

The other guy called the Sheriff to come out to the parking lot, but they wouldn't do so. So we exchanged insurance and driver license information and both said "Have a nice day". No one really talked otherwise.
Realized after the fact that neither of us exchanged phone numbers, nor did either of us take pictures (unless he did and we aren't aware).

The damage seems minimal, on both vehicles. I don't intend to do a claim on mine under my insurance if it affects my policy, because I have a $500 deductible that I'd have to pay and I think the damage is less than that anyhow.

Not sure if I should even call my insurance company if I don't want to do a claim. I have no idea if he is going to call his... or mine.

What is the best way to handle this situation? Of course, I'd prefer not to have my insurance rate skyrocket for the next 3 years over such minimal damage.

Thank you in advance.

Police (or Sheriff or whoever) rarely show up for parking lot non-injury accidents. I know they do in some places, but not most. That part isn't a surprise at all.

This is a 'mutual fault' accident, basically, 50% at fault for both of you. Its up to you if you call your insurance company or not. Keep in mind, the damage almost always costs a LOT more to repair than you think unless you are used to minor fender benders.

Dan

We were backing out of a parking spot, apparently at the same time the car behind us did the same thing.
We both have damage on the very corners of our bumpers.

The other guy called the Sheriff to come out to the parking lot, but they wouldn't do so. So we exchanged insurance and driver license information and both said "Have a nice day". No one really talked otherwise.
Realized after the fact that neither of us exchanged phone numbers, nor did either of us take pictures (unless he did and we aren't aware).

The damage seems minimal, on both vehicles. I don't intend to do a claim on mine under my insurance if it affects my policy, because I have a $500 deductible that I'd have to pay and I think the damage is less than that anyhow.

Not sure if I should even call my insurance company if I don't want to do a claim. I have no idea if he is going to call his... or mine.

What is the best way to handle this situation? Of course, I'd prefer not to have my insurance rate skyrocket for the next 3 years over such minimal damage.

Thank you in advance.

I probably would inform my agent but tell him I intend to do nothing unless I hear from the other driver. I had a similar incident recently. I haven't heard from the other driver so I just fixed my own car.

Last edited:
I probably would infirm my agent but tell him I intend to do nothing unless I hear from the other driver. I had a similar incident recently. I haven't heard from the other driver so I just fixed my own car.

Does alerting your agent put them on notice that you're a higher risk, thus increase your premiums when renewal comes around?

Only if your agent goes and reports it to the company make sure he doesn't do it !!
(Maybe if he's allstate or any captive agent they'll more likely tell the company)

Does alerting your agent put them on notice that you're a higher risk, thus increase your premiums when renewal comes around?

Not my agent. He is an independent and will not report a claim unless I instruct him to. As far as he is concerned the fewer claims the better.

It is rare that just reporting an accident will trigger any adverse action by the carrier. If they don't payout on the claim, then there isn't a surcharge for it. Now, that said, if you report it (to the carrier), they may proactively contact the other party on your behalf. No agent will do this, but if YOU report it to the carrier, they may.

Before someone reminds me, in some states, with some carriers, reporting a claim to a carrier, even without a payout, may cause a loss of a 'claims-free' discount. In most cases, this doesn't happen, but it might.

Dan

Ok.. Well, I do not have an agent. I purchase and renew my policy with one of the well-known carriers directly/automatically. I have been a policy holder with them for nearly 3 years.

So what I am gathering then is... do not call. If the other guy gets us involved then we will have to deal with it then.

With that said.. if we don't call the carrier because I am not doing a claim, and then they find out and call us to address it- would there be any adverse effects on our policy?

Let me get this straight... you buy online/over the phone insurance without giving your business to a local agent creating local jobs in your area. But you come on here asking the licensed agents for help?

Last edited:
Let me get this straight... you buy online/over the phone insurance without giving your business to a local agent creating local jobs in your area. But you come on here asking the licensed agents for help?

Umm...wow. I guess I didn't realize that I should have an agent to be on here. I searched for insurance forums to get guidance from others in the world. I looked at the rules; and it didn't state I had to have a company with an agent to post on here.
The company I use doesn't have local agents. It isn't an option. And I got quotes from other agencies that were much more, so I went with the affordable, reputable option.

I'm sorry if I caused any problems or did something wrong.................................

Back