How to identify insurance company using a policy number?

I believe LegalShield services offers letter-writing services from their member-attorneys. @Cornelius could probably tell you more about that.

Edit: I thought you were asking because you personally were in a situation. Anyway, don't you have back-office people that might be able to figure it out and use their own attorneys to get the company to fess up?
Or, they could take out a policy with Foresters and get that letter done for free. :yes:

Are you asking as a customer and they are refusing to show you the carrier? run away fast. Very well could be the don't have the coverage anymore, but just a policy summary.

Contact the AG office and file a complaint if somebody has used them and had a problem.
Hiding stuff like that is not a good sign.

Likewise if you're an agent offering to quote, walk away.

Is it even possible?

I need to verify if a company has commercial general liability insurance. They gave me a policy number which starts with PAV01736** but did not tell which company is insuring them.
Now i need to file a claim but don't know who to contact. Can anyone help?

If the mover does interstate moving, they should be registered with the DOT.

You might have some luck using the DOT website...

A&I online - Motor Carrier Analysis and Information Resources Online

Additionally, many states regulate movers so you might also look for resources on your state's website. One of your earlier posts suggested you might be in Florida so here are a couple of resources...

Moving Companies / Business Services / Home - Florida Department of Agriculture & Consumer Services

Home

Last edited:
@FEX Quotes they are not registered with DOT. Local company. But thanks for your thought.

An idea for a low cost / no cost legal solution would be to reach out to a local law school and see what resources may be available. Many, if not most law schools operate free clinics that offer legal services for those with limited resources.

Another thought, although not ideal would be to file a claim with your own homeowner's company as they likely provide coverage for personal property in transit.

I'm going to venture a guess here that they don't actually have insurance. It's a possibility, and based on their behavior it's a strong possibility.

I looked at the bottom of this cup of tea and see some "smoke and mirrors"... I'd be real careful about getting my underwear in a bundle over this one... :yes:

@LGilmore yes, as a customer asking for coi.. thank you. What's AG office?

You saw the AG answer. If they are hiding this from a customer, they probably don't actually have insurance, just a page of coverage they used to have. You get this sometime where corners are cut when it comes to insurance by movers, builders, plumbers, etc.

There is absolutely no legitimate reason to cover the carrier information up. If the customer hasn't used them run. If they have and had a problem, contact the attorney general's office and file a complaint. Let the AGs office inquire. See if there are other complaints as well.

There is absolutely no reason to black that info out. How is a consumer to confirm actual coverage?

Back