How to Market MAPD Chronic SNP plans

RunnerDude

Super Genius
I'm looking for a good angle for marketing and selling MAPD Chronic Care SNP's. I currently have Humana and UHC contracts. I do see a slight advantage with some of the drug costs. What other reasons would a person with DM or a chronic heart condition have for switching their plan (other than premium cost)? Also, do the same marketing rules apply as during AEP?

Approx 30% or Medicare beneficiaries have either a heart condition or have some form of diabetes. There is a continuous Special Election Period so you can enroll these folks in a plan all year long not just during the AEP. Rx wise, I know the Humana plan has a very low co-pay for both Januvia and Janumet and since these are both brand oral diabetes meds, you can save those folks quite a bit of money, unltil they reach the coverage gap). I've studied the plans pretty closely and that seems to be the biggest feature when compared to other MAPD plans. So if you find folks that are diabetic, you can keep busy enrolling them during this time of year.

They can indeed be helpful BUT we're still talking MA so all the marketing issues still exist.

As usual, finding prospects willing to talk with you can be challenging. It's not like you can get a list and pick up the phone. All solicitation needs to be done via mail.

You need to keep the mailing generic. "Additional benefits may be available for beneficiaries with diabetes, heart issues, etc." You may not specify that "januvia is avaiable for $30 with no donut hole."

I understand that mailing lists are available for diabetics but I also understand they may not be terribly accurate. Perhaps just a mailing to older seniors (72-80) would generate similar results.

Rick

The UHC Jarvis tool box has lots of customizable items you can order or download to be compliant. You may want to reach out to your UHC & Humana area rep's, my UHC rep has been great. They may be will to co-op with you in marketing campaign. You will usually have to give them your marketing plan idea or they might even have events where you generate business. They do a lot in different markets I work in with the DE-SNP plans.

Back