How To Open Every Cold Call

Maybe I'll give this a try tomorrow: "I sell home and auto insurance, but only to those who are interested in getting a quote. Would you like to know more?"

I wish I knew more about P&C to offer better tips on selling it. It's just a commodity to me, aside from the person who is selling it and offering their advice.

Maybe I'll give this a try tomorrow: "I sell home and auto insurance, but only to those who will allow me to compete for their business. Would you like to know more?"

The word compete is both complimentary (because they are worth competing over) and piques curiosity, because they don't yet know how you can compete (and neither do you until you look at their existing coverage).

Last edited:
I wish I knew more about P&C to offer better tips on selling it. It's just a commodity to me, aside from the person who is selling it and offering their advice.

The word compete is both complimentary (because they are worth competing over) and piques curiosity, because they don't yet know how you can compete (and neither do you until you look at their existing coverage).

Sounds better!

I prefer life & health. But the struggle has been real! I've always had a lead flow problem. Without a marketing budget, prospecting took up 95 percent of my time.

P&C solved that problem. I can get average of 4 leads an hour on a good day just banging on doors cold. I could never do that with life or health.

The learning curve is steep, the quoting is a headache, and the service is more frequent, but the monthly renewals are starting to add up!

I'll settle for the L&H cross-sell for now!

And give the State Farm guy or gal a run for their money!

I can get average of 4 leads an hour on a good day just banging on doors cold. I could never do that with life or health.

Not surprising.

Like all other forms of insurance, most people think they pay too much. Yet there is a perceived value with P&C that doesn't exist with life and health.

The buyer doesn't expect to personally benefit from life insurance. And they believe they will never get sick so health insurance is likewise a waste of money.

Until they actually need it . . .

But few drivers have gone through life and never had an accident. And it was always the other person's fault.

David has a point. P&C is mostly viewed as a price driven commodity unless they have an agent who has taken the time to prove their worth.

P&C solved that problem. I can get average of 4 leads an hour on a good day just banging on doors cold. I could never do that with life or health.

Never have been a P&C guy, but that approach done properly seems to me like you can't loose. The key being "properly timed follow-up" both on sold and unsold clients. The life cross over would be powerful. Also I would think that a well positioned specified plan (cancer..) would yield good fruit as well.

Here is a line a TM used on me today. I cut him off but still felt like this was an attention grabber.

"You are harder to catch than the last pickle in a jar"

You are welcome.

Back