How to Prospect for Life Insurance Sales?

I wrote those numbers to actually get Matt and John to respond.

What are the appropriate numbers to having 25 appointments within 2 weeks, walk how many businesses?

You are thinking too much, just go out and make the calls. Track it for three weeks. If sustainable, keep doing it. If not, do something else. I think you'll like the results.

Most people spend more time on thing of reason why they should not prospect than prospecting.

It is a dying art or trade.

Using my existing book of business has BY FAR been the best. Clients that already have a relationship with you are far more likely to hear you out.

I'm not following this math. Someone is saying that walking into 20 businesses per day is going to result in 50 appointments per month? One appointment per 10 businesses? Not even remotely close.

This is an extremely small sample, but two guys in my office hit a strip mall today after lunch, and set three appointments in about a dozen businesses. It CAN happen!

Most people spend more time on thing of reason why they should not prospect than prospecting.

It is a dying art or trade.

I think this nails it.

The other marketing techniques (networking, public speaking, strategic partnerships) are all critical to the big picture, but prospecting is required in this business. You have to do ALL of the above.

Part of the problem is the type of program that says "do this and you'll never have to prospect." That gives people an "out", an excuse to not do the dirty work.

Unless you enter this business with a few bags of cash for traditional advertising, you need to get your hands dirty. And look at it this way: Mark is right, fewer people are doing this the hard way, leaving the door open for YOU.

I have used some of your ideas from your site Mark. Thanks for sharing your all of your experiences with the people looking to get started or got stuck and need to get unstuck.

One long term suggestion: collect business cards from everyone you meet, and keep a small journal with you. Get an email address and ask or estimate age/income/business type/family. ask for permission to send them your newsletter. sign up for something like constant contact and add the contact info. now make sure that every two weeks/every month you send out an email with helpful educational info. never any sales info. never a pitch. get info about new product ideas from your bga and your carriers. over the course of years you will become the expert who is paying attention to these people. two years from now you will get regular ongoing calls forever.

this is golden!!

Back