How To Psych Yourself Up To Prospect

Maybe you hate it because of it's marginal effectiveness?

Why not stop the drudgery and do some marketing?

I do. I've done mailers, internet marketing, etc. The nice thing about calling turning 65 is you can give them an immediate quote and answer their questions...telemarketers can't do that for you. Mailers can be expensive and it sucks when you get a card from someone that has group coverage through retirment and doesn't need anything. Internet leads can be good but I've had my share of awful ones. Calling a targeted group is a great way to prospect and the least expensive. I just have a hard time doing it sometimes, I'm sure like other agents on this board.

Its my main way to get infront of prospects. I do buy some internet leads but very little. $200 per month. I call for med-supps and just set an appointment. It works for me but on some days it is very hard. If I have a bad week it always goes back to I didnot make enough calls to get infront of enough prospects.

Motivational stuff is like a warm bath; feels great when you're in - cold as hell when you're out. Simple put, boy do you feel energized when reading that stuff but it does NOT change who you are.

You have two kinds of small biz owners:

1) Those who are driven, believe in themselves and their products. Those people don't have to read motivational stuff in order to DO THEIR JOBS

2) Those who are not driven, don't believe in themselves and don't believe their products will leave their clients in a better position. Those people need all kinds of motivation since their NATURAL state when the wake up is near zero drive.

It's stunning to me how many people coming into this business with a sheer FEAR of contacting and talking to people. Sales is kinda a bad career choice, ya think? I can imagine someone applying for a window washing job: "Alright, but I have DEAD fear of heights!!!"

"How to Psych Yourself up to Prospect" huh? I wonder if someone running a small construction business has to read "How to Gear Yourself Up to Go to Home Depot."

Last edited:
Geez, it's a free booklet that might help some agents on the board that don't like to cold call. I hope you're a little more pleasant to your clients healthagent than you are to agents on this board. Some people just don't like to cold call.

My motivation comes from looking at the balance in my checkbook. If that doesn't do it then Jacqueline going shopping will.

I too have a very expensive wife.

What's her dream house? Twenty eight rooms. No kitchen... no bedroom.

What does she make for dinner? Reservations.

She told me today that this year she wants to go someplace she's never been to before. I told her to try the kitchen.

I don't get no respect, I tell ya. No respect at all.

:D:D:D

Back