How to Start An Independent Agency Without Insurance Sales Experience?

BGW

Thank you for reading my post and helping. I'm in my late 30's and have been a business owner since I was in college at age 21 (nearly 20-years of business experience). I obtained a PC license and Life/Health license for California and have NO experience selling insurance. I was hoping to start an independent insurance agency and plan to use my client lists from previous businesses I owned (which are not insurance related) to get started. In addition, I plan to advertise in local magazines, set-up booths at trade-shows, flea markets, fairs etc. I plan to buy calling lists so I can cold call potential clients and even knock on doors. I have my business plan mapped out. I strongly believe I have the business experience, ability and determination to be VERY successful within the insurance industry...I just need help getting started. I basically need help how to write an insurance policy/contract. Need help getting appointed with carriers. I need help getting acquainted with the entire insurance process (not necessarily help finding clients -- that's the easy part). Could someone help point me in the right direction with where to start. One thing for certain I do not want to be a captive agent. All help or words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

Back