How to Start Getting Clients who Aren't Just Family

edward.myinsurance

I got into Insurance as a broker with my uncle that that talked me into it. I was excited to do it and saw a lot of potential as a good career. Little did I know, he just showed me how to quote then left me a on my own to figure things out.
After struggling for 3 months selling to all the friends and family I could I was reached out to by a recruiter from Farmers. So I looked into it and saw good potential in the opportunity for real training and a big brand name.
I read a lot of negative things about them but my experience so far has bin pretty good. It's bin about 3 weeks and I've learned a lot but still have a problem.

Looking for ideas to actually get the ball rolling on new prospects that aren't necessarily current family and friends. I've started doing door to door which has bin getting a little better each time but still haven't closed anything yet.

Can anyone share what worked best for them at the very start?

I'm trying to specialize in Commercial and Life, but at this point I'm opened to all lines of business to at least get my book started.

Thank you!

When you get to the door, what is your approach? How do you open?

Introduce myself, usually I target homes around my area so I say "I live close by, I'm just looking to see how I can better serve my community" then I say "I know insurance can be pretty boring to talk about, but I just have a couple question, should only take 20 seconds" .. I tend to say things differently every time depending on who opens the door.

When you get to the door, what is your approach? How do you open?
Normally i would just start by introducing myself, then confirm that they are the owners. I usually target neighborhoods near my home so I would let them know that I live close by and I'm just looking to see how I can better serve my community. Next I would say "I know insurance can be pretty boring to talk about sometimes but I just have a couple questions, should only take 20 seconds".. and so on. Though I tend to always change my wording depending on who opens the door.

I would focus on commercial. Then, when you sell them commercial, pitch them life. That's my system. I am commercial and life as well. Most successful business owners would be a good prospect for life ins.

I have sold to business owners my entire adult life, and I am effective. I have found the type of person that excels in life sales is a different type of person that excels in commercial.

I have been selling commercial insurance 6 years now. I am 100% referral. Some of my biggest and best clients I got from the small amount of door2door/door knocking/canvasing I have done. I would continue doing that if I were you. Once you get some sales, learn how to ask for referrals. Don't just ask for referrals, but really learn how do it properly. After you get a feel for the industry, develop a niche. Having a niche will make your life easier and more profitable.

I understand the importance of Referrals and how to manage your current clients. But my question is primarily focused on getting your First customer, or your first 5, or your first 20.. and so forth..???

Back