How to Succeed As an Agent

2911plans

Texas
Hello,

I am a new agent as of 12/02/13. I am licensed in Life, Health, Property and Casualty. So far, I have sold 2 renters policies and 1 annuity. I am now purchasing leads, but that has not helped.

Any and all advice is welcome. I need to earn at least $4500.00 a month.

What do you want to focus on? P & C or L & H? Where do you work at? By yourself, is no one helping you? Commission split? If you need 4,500 a month, I would suggest to put your focus on Life as it pays more upfront.

My company has set goals for me. I have to submit 50 auto quotes in January and only 2 Life or Annuity applications. So far I work alone.

I want to purchase more leads, but need to but from a reliable company.

----------

I get 30% commission on P&C, 60% on Life and 6.5% on Fixed Annuities.

30% commission on P & C? So the agency gets the other 70%? That is low. They should be giving you leads for that split. Unless you were talking about 30% of premium for a new captive agent. Good luck on your new agency if that is the case. Hometown Quotes seems to be the most popular around here. The president, Bob is on the forum and he is on the ball when it comes to customer service issues. They are a little on the high side price wise, but fair on crediting. They got a special going on before for new customers, not sure if they still have it now. You can search the name on the forum and get a feel for them.

Last edited:
So you think that's low, I got offered a similar package with a P and C agency but they want to offer me 40/60 and I have to service my clients. What do you think about that deal?

A fair deal would be at least 60% new biz and 30-50% renewals. 30-50% renewals depending if you are servicing your own clients or having the agency CSR do it. I personally think 40% renewal with CSR support is fair. You should also get you own office number and space, biz cards, e & o covered by agency and benefits if you are in the agency long term.

Back