How to Work Health Insurance Telemarketing Leads?

Hello, I need some expert advice.
If you are buying telemarketing leads for health insurance, what is the best way to work them, if you want to sell face-to-face?
If the client has health insurance already, is it still best to qualify for there level of interest? Or should you just try to set the appointment and try to sell them? Which is the better way? Also, what is the best way to present health insurance face to face? and what is the average closing ratio out of 20 leads if you are selling face-to-face?

Personally, I have never had much success with telemarketed leads. Are these business or personal leads?

I haven't done any F2F business in years but if I was going to sell F2F I would qualify, qualify, qualify ANY lead before putting the key in the ignition.

TM leads are never fresh. They may be 24 hours or more old. A lot can happen between talking to a telemarketer and your follow up call.

Just a wag, but out of 20 TM leads, half will probably blow you off when you call. Half the remaining will probably ask you to mail them something. You might get 5 F2F appointments and sell 1 - 3.

These are telemarketing leads to small business owners. Does anybody have a good outline as to how to qualify, create a sense of interest, in order to set a strong appointment?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Also, I know telemarketing leads can work. I know of an agent that does very well on them. However, he does no qualify. He just tries to set the appointment, and he tries not to quote anything before seeing them. He drives all over the place seeing clients. If they don't buy the first time he sees them, then he shows up again on a second visit and then he normally closes them. Very hectic and busy way of doing things, but I know for a fact that he does very well.

Last edited:
Sounds like you have all the answers. Since you know someone who is successful, why not ask him rather than the opinion of strangers?

It is much easier to mimic someone who is successful than to try and create something new from scratch.

Just a wag, but out of 20 TM leads, half will probably blow you off when you call. Half the remaining will probably ask you to mail them something. You might get 5 F2F appointments and sell 1 - 3.

I've never used telemarketed leads, but your numbers match my experience with f2f health, generally speaking.

Of the last 3 f2f health insurance appts. that I've had where I went to see the client, only one application was submitted and placed. All three begged me to meet with them, which is not a good sign.

If they come to my office, the numbers improve considerably. I've taken an application on every f2f appt. when they come to see me.

I would ask the agent how he works his telemarketing leads, but he told me that an agent should never share his lead source or how he does things.

I know of an agent that does very well on them. However, he does no qualify. He just tries to set the appointment, and he tries not to quote anything before seeing them. He drives all over the place seeing clients. If they don't buy the first time he sees them, then he shows up again on a second visit and then he normally closes them.

I would ask the agent how he works his telemarketing leads, but he told me that an agent should never share his lead source or how he does things.

Am I the only one that thinks something isn't adding up here?

Ironically, the last two people to post in this thread are almost wholly responsible for any success I've had as an agent - because they're both incredible agents who have spent hours on the phone and, in Bob's case, in person with me making me better.

I agree with Bob. Insecure or untruthful - take your pick.

Back