How Would YOU Handle this Situation?!?!?

insurance1822

Guru
1000 Post Club
Hello All,

I have a 5+ year personal lines client that I've done an excellent job for over the years. I've made my personal cell phone available during times of need and I've always...always provided top notch service. Ive reviewed their policies at renewal & moved them to other carriers when necessary. I even went to college with the wife.

Now she had one of her best friends get into the insurance business & I got a BOR this morning. I reached out to the client & the husband exclaimed it wasn't anything personal...it was just they're choosing to work with this new agency to help their friend.

I respectfully accepted this. HOWEVER...They're trying to close on a refi TOMORROW and their bank needs insurance docs...which I've advised I can not be of service & they can use their new agent. ? thoughts?

:no:

Last edited:
Hello All,

I have a 5+ year personal lines client that I've done an excellent job for over the years. I've made my personal cell phone available during times of need and I've always...always provided top notch service. Ive reviewed their policies at renewal & moved them to other carriers when necessary. I even went to college with the wife.

Now she had one of her best friends get into the insurance business & I got a BOR this morning. I reached out to the client & the husband exclaimed it wasn't anything personal...it was just they're choosing to work with this new agency to help their friend.

I respectfully accepted this. HOWEVER...They're trying to close on a refi TOMORROW and their bank needs insurance docs...which I've advised I can not be of service & they can use their new agent. The new agent doesn't take over for 10 days...so if it pushes off their settlement...."Oh well...NOTHING PERSONAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

If there were a chance of them coming back to you, they probably won't now. With that being said, I would probably do what you did.

Hello All,

I respectfully accepted this. HOWEVER...They're trying to close on a refi TOMORROW and their bank needs insurance docs...which I've advised I can not be of service & they can use their new agent. The new agent doesn't take over for 10 days...so if it pushes off their settlement...."Oh well...NOTHING PERSONAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

First I am not a P&C agent. However don't you think they might gripe to a bunch of people about how you behaved and screwed up thier closing. You can do what you want and I know it must feel satisfying but might it bite you down the road.

First I am not a P&C agent. However don't you think they might gripe to a bunch of people about how you behaved and screwed up thier closing. You can do what you want and I know it must feel satisfying but might it bite you down the road.

Well I told the bank processor that we're no longer the agency of record & can't handle their request. I didn't tell the insured directly...so if the insured calls and says "hey my new agent can't access it until 10 days from now" then I'll do it.

I think you should do the evidence of insurance and move on at least you still look good.:SLEEP::SLEEP:

Its agents like you that give insurance agents a bad image.

These people helped to put food in your mouth, clothes on your back, & a roof over your head for 5+ years!

Now out of spite you screw up their closing on a new house? Seriously???

Sure, it sucks loosing a longtime client. But that is the nature of this business. Not every client will be with you until you retire. Get over it, act like a professional, & do the right thing.

Also, if the new agent does not officially take over for 10 days, then officially you are still their agent and required to provide them service in a timely manner.

And the husband is right. Its nothing personal. Its business. Be a professional!!!

If you dont, I hope they report you to your states DOI. You would deserve it.

Its agents like you that give insurance agents a bad image.

These people helped to put food in your mouth, clothes on your back, & a roof over your head for 5+ years!

Now out of spite you screw up their closing on a new house? Seriously???

Sure, it sucks loosing a longtime client. But that is the nature of this business. Not every client will be with you until you retire. Get over it, act like a professional, & do the right thing.

Also, if the new agent does not officially take over for 10 days, then officially you are still their agent and required to provide them service in a timely manner.

And the husband is right. Its nothing personal. Its business. Be a professional!!!

If you dont, I hope they report you to your states DOI. You would deserve it.

get off your horse. loser. and it's a refi.

Doesnt matter. Like I said be a professional. Which judging from your response you obviously are not.

For the record...as per my previous post...once the INSURED requests me to release information on their behalf (so long as we're still officially the agent) i will. technically (as im sure you know) we can't release information w/o the named insured's permission (and a NEW lienholder doesn't count as an insured.) So being "professional" i'll wait until the named insured makes the request, and then comply.

and really? throw the DOI out there like that? cmon....really....cmon.

"And the husband is right. Its nothing personal. Its business. Be a professional!!!"

I agree and disagree with this statement at the same time. It is "personal" as they are helping a friend. It is not business, because business is business, this is helping a friend without knowing if it's good business. That's what I disagree with.

Here's what I agree with "be professional". Are you certain this "friend" will still be in the business in 6 months? There's a 75% chance she'll be gone, especially hoping friendships last if she screws up. There's a 80-90% chance she'll be gone in a year or two years.

By being professional you keep a door open. When this other person screws up, are they going to pick up the phone and call you to fix it? or are they going to think naw he was an a sshat .

I mean do what you want, but don't decide the other agent is going to be top gun.

Latest posts

Back